Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Taking a free card...

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Does anyone like my raise on 5th? I was going to fold to a 3-bet but I got the sense that the A didnt help him.

Do I lose a lot of value by not beting on the river and planning to call a check raise?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Taking a free card...

I'm just starting to play 7 Stud High so these are just questions.

On third street, why didn't you complete? The Ace is the only door card higher than your Jacks and there are 2 deuces and 2 four's out.

Again on fourth, why not bet?

I don't understand the raise on fifth when he catches a card that could mean trouble for you if he has an Ace or a club flush draw.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:13 PM

I would bet 6th due to picking up the openended draw.

I would check behind on 7th since I put him on a club draw that missed (or one that he made and is hoping to checkraise with).
Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 AM

I have many of the same questions as greenage. Why didn't you complete on third and bet on fourth? Bet your damned hand already. I also don't get the raise on fifth. He has played strongly to this point--he just might have those Jacks beaten. You're not likely to get him to fold. I don't see much value in this raise. And bet the damned river.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Every street that you checked or called on, I would have bet. Every street you raised on, I would have called. Hehe.

3rd street is a clear raise, and on 4th you would continue of course. In addition to raising for value and to thin the field, in this particular hand you would have a lot more information if you had raised. If he reraised on 3rd, it would be a lot easier to put him on a big pocket pair, and you'd have a slightly better read on whether that ace is scary or not.

5th I don't think your raise is awful, but he's finally got something scary going, both in the ace itself and the 2 flush. It's hard to put him on a hand he would fold here, and any value you gain is small. If you were going for the standard free card, you should raise on 4th (except you don't have position at that point).

The most interesting to me is 6th street. Given how you have played the hand so far, you should definitely bet again on 6th street, then finally take your "free card" on 7th if you don't improve (and possibly even with 2 pair). You are just way too likely to make something on the river and there's still actually a decent chance you are ahead. All your cards are live. You want to see a showdown even if you don't improve I think, and your pot equity is higher now than it will be in that river scenario. Given your board, there is little chance that he will spring to life with a bet on the river (if he does, it may mean the flush, but I'd still call with any 2 pair or better).

Given your 6th check AND his river check, you should bet your 2 pair for value.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every street that you checked or called on, I would have bet. Every street you raised on, I would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-17-2005, 04:02 PM

This has all been said before but raise third and bet fourth. Also, the raise on fifth is quite odd. Not only a club but an Ace. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If you made the bad play of not raising 3rd a check raise on 4th would be interesting, following by a bet on 5th (unless a scary card comes down, like it did) You should have probably bet 7th too when you made a better hand.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. Looking back it is so clear how weak I played on 3rd and the river and what a bad raise that was on 5th. I still have a lot to learn about this game - me thinks it is time to finish reading 7CSFAP.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Not sure 7csfap would recommend you immediately complete after the bring in, because you are in early position and have the ace lurking behind you. Depends on the texture of the game, who is raising with the 4 and who holds the ace. After the ace folds I would have raised, his upcard is paired, and you may get it heads up, which you want, especially if you are behind. Would have bet 4th, called his bet 5th, then bet on 6th after he shows weakness by checking. Would have definitely bet the river. His cards are slightly dead, and just as importantly, your hand is well hidden. I think you easily get a call here often enough to pay for the times you may get checkraised and lose an extra bet.
If this is the typical party poker stud game, the guy with the 4 could very likely have some small pair in the hole. These games are very easily beatable with straighforward play, in other words, if you think you have the best hand punish the guy now, cause they're going to the river with you anyway. Don't try to be fancy.