Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Prolly played this horribly but no clue what he had

Clearing the bonus on Noble Poker this hand came up

I wish they had a text system of hand histories, but I did take a screenshot

.50/1.00 limit game

UTG dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Call BB, MP Raises to $2, SB folds, BB calls

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check raise the initial raiser thinking he might fold, he called, BB folds

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Not thinking he's strong after calling the check raise, if he reraised I'd folded, I check raised yet again, this time the pot caps, for some reason I wasn't thinking, but kept raising.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Lead out, he thinks and calls, thinking I'm sunk, then the pot is pushed to me for a nice 13.5 BB win.

Since even though it went to SD the history never told me what he had, what do you think he was holding?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Prolly played this horribly but no clue what he had

i'm thinking KQ for the OESD w/ two overcards (probably one is a club, giving him the aded flush draw on the turn). or maybe he just sux. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 03:42 PM

A7, one club the Ace.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM

How do you think I played it overall? Too aggressive, flat out stupid, or possibly fine?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Post reads. They make a huge difference on this sort of hand. Also, try posting in the Micro-Limit forum.

I'd agree with the KQ guess, one of them probably clubs assuming a "decent" player. If the guy raises Aces worse than a 9 then I'm not crazy about limping UTG with A9s and him right behind you.

I'm not sure why you'd want to check raise this turn with zero clean outs. An Ace isn't very good for you. A 9 isn't very good for you. A Queen is maybe good for you. A 7 would probably be good if it weren't a club but not if you're already beaten by a flush . . . I mean I don't think you're folding here or anything but do you really want to put in 2 and possibly 3 big bets with this hand?

Actually I don't like check-raising the flop very much either. What player is going to bet the flop then fold to a check raise? I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone fold to this move and now you're out of position heads up with a drawing hand . . . at least there are 5 BB in the pot now, but nearly half of them came from you.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 AM

I'd have to go with KQ. But, there's always the posibility that he flat out sucks. I don't like the check-raise on the flop. It may have been an acceptable move had you been holding a four flush. I think you got too carried away with an 8-outer (possibly 11, assuming an ace would be good). This guy obviously wasn't getting off his hand and capping on the turn with an ace high did nothing but offer him better odds to make a call on the river.