Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 10:05 AM

Default 99 UTG

I limp-reraise because I smelled a steal from the SB. After that, I'm lost. Bet the turn? Fold the river? No reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter

MP1 ($156)
MP2 ($211.75)
MP3 ($47.25)
CO ($56.5)
Button ($197)
SB ($211.6)
BB ($205.5)
Hero ($209.05)
UTG+1 ($228.5)
UTG+2 ($207)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB calls $12.

Flop: ($42) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, SB calls $20.

Turn: ($82) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($82) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

Final Pot: $162
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: 99 UTG

What's your read on this guy? That pretty much determines where you stand in this one i think.
Preflop: If he's any good, his smooth call would indicate strength, i dont know if hed call this with AK or AQ out of position to the reraiser, I sure wouldnt. I assume hed reraise with JJ-AA though.

I think you need to bet higher on the flop, probably the pot. If you're trying to push him off his overs you gotta make him pay. If you're looking to define his hand, well calling a pot-size flop bet would indicate alot of strength and you could easily fold to a reraise. With your line, the check on the turn is fine, the pots too huge to get rid of him at this point, and you are either way ahead or way behind i think. Plus you picked up that straight draw. I don't know what this guy is playing so passively with, if he's good he'll show you JJ-AA, if not, maybe 77 or a missed AK/AQ. Results?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM

The first thing I think when someone limp reraises is AA KK or AK. Since he called, I think it's likely he has a strong hand. His bet on the river makes me think he's got JJ or QQ and is putting you on a whiffed AK. The pot is real big though, so a call here wouldn't be totally out of line as you could be beating a smaller PP.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His bet on the river makes me think he's got JJ or QQ

[/ QUOTE ] \

Ya, I think he bets out like 50-60 ish on a bluff- he has to make it a little painful to call....maybe im overthinking it?

Unfortunately he leaves you with damn good odds to snapp off any bluff..... completely read dependant but I think I lay here usually bc his preflop call of a limp reraise and bc he has shown some strength throughout the hand.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:37 PM

He had JJ, and I think he played it extremely well. I should've been ready to dump to any aggression after the flop, but the little brain in my finger decided he had AK and called on the river.

The smooth call of the $20 bet tells me, IMO, that he's got AK, QQ, JJ, ot TT. I think AA or KK gives me more action. Based on that read, and the relatively small likelihood of TT, how about a push on the turn? There are only a couple of hands that can call a push there, and I've got draws (albeit crappy ones) to beat them all.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB calls $12.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming the villian is a decent player, at this point he has
called off about 10% of his stack. I'd reduce the possible hand to AA-TT, AK, AQ.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: ($42) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, SB calls $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian doesn't bet out, after being the PFR. I might rule out AA-QQ, now. If he had had AA-QQ, he'd probably like this flop and want to know where he is. I now put him on JJ, TT, AK, AQ.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: ($82) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! I think you pooched this one. Got to bet at least 2/3 pot here to see if he folds the possible AK,AQ hands. From here out you just don't know.

[ QUOTE ]

River: ($82) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

Final Pot: $162

[/ QUOTE ]

His $40 bet is either a value bet (he has JJ/TT and thinks he's good) or a blocking bet (he has AK/AQ and thinks you don't have a pair, but doesn't want you to have a free opportunity to bluff your weaker hand). You don't know because you didn't bet the turn. But, now, you are almost
compelled to call the bet.

That's how I'd look at it.

Regards,
Mike L.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 PM

You have to bet larger on the flop and turn. You just limp-reraised, you have AA or KK! Play it fast, and knock out QQ/JJ. It only matters what cards you're holding if you go to a showdown. Until then, you're sitting pretty with AA.