Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Why it sucks to have an overpair (QQ) out of position- example 1

I would like to hear advices how should I have played this one (pre-flop and post flop)?

Hand 1:

5/10NL 6-handed
BUTTON(~900$)
HERO SB(~2200$)
VILLAIN BB ~1100$)

Villain on this hand is good, but I haven't played with him before. I stacked him just few hands ago (set over set).

I have Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: folded to Button who calls (I'll never do that?!), I make it to 35$ and BB calls , Button calls.

I hated that 35$ raise right after I did it, I meant to raise to 55$, that would have been better, right?

Flop(105$): 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
HERO bets(80$), BB makes it (240$), Button folds, HERO calls(160$)

Turn(505$): 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets 290$. After that I figured out that if I call I have to call on the river too when he'll set me all-in, I fold.

I really don't have a clue what I was doing and what he had. Maybe he flopped set, str8 or 2 pair. Or then he had nothing and was just outplaying me, since he's a good player and capable of using his position against me.

Flame away...

-FuzzyLogic
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Why it sucks to have an overpair (QQ) out of position- example 1

Since the only good turn card is a Q, a fold on the flop looks like a good idea when he raises.

What do people think about a flop check-raise? Since hero cant stand a strong raise against this opponent when hand is practically face up, does it make sense that this is the best way to find out information?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:10 AM

I'd push all-in on the flop after his reraise.
4-handed, you're ahead most of the time here.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do people think about a flop check-raise? Since hero cant stand a strong raise against this opponent when hand is practically face up, does it make sense that this is the best way to find out information?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain can really narrow hero down to big overpairs then hero should be raising a much wider variety of hands out of the BB.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since the only good turn card is a Q, a fold on the flop looks like a good idea when he raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if you're rereaised? Now you've committed a large part of your stack in a hand you're probably behind in. It's possible three handed that you're beat in this sitaution. Heads up it doesnt seems like a bad play.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd push all-in on the flop after his reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

he folds worse hands, call with better....
Old 04-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Fold to his flop raise, and chalk it up to not raising more PF (which you already realize).
Old 04-16-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 6-handed, I meant it was folded around to Button who called.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check-raising would been much better than betting and then lamely calling his raise only to fold when I miss my two outer..

[ QUOTE ]

If villain can really narrow hero down to big overpairs then hero should be raising a much wider variety of hands out of the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'm pretty tight overall and probably uber-tight with my blind raises. Could you give me some advices with what hands should I be raising from blinds?

-FuzzyLogic
Old 04-16-2005, 09:13 AM

I raise low connecting and 1-gap (suited not required) cards some of the time in the blinds if there's been no interest in the pot, not more than 1 limper, and I'm comfortable playing the particular limper+blind concerned. That way when a flop comes with a few high cards you probably bluff it 50% of the time, and if it comes low you could win a big pot. Its probably a break-even play on its own, but does wonders for table image.