Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Default How much would you pay?

A friend and I were just discussing his PSP. My contention is that it's a slick device, but it's overpriced -- yeah, Sony's losing money on every unit sold and all that, but I don't see a large market for a $250 handheld gaming device. Or, more importantly, it's too much for me, which is all that really matters. Especially since he's already got one and I can play it pretty much any time I want.

At one point in the conversation, he asked "Oh yeah? Well, what if you could play your internet poker on it? How much would you be willing to pay at that point?"

I thought about it for a bit and said, "Well, if there were a Party Poker client that I could 4-table on and keep stats while I was playing -- that is, if it effectively replicated my desktop at home -- I'd probably buy one today, even at $250. Possibly even slightly higher. However, if it were about the level of quality of my laptop play -- that is, a Remote Desktop Connection to my desktop PC, which means only a few poker rooms work right, and I'm stuck with 1- or 2- tabling with large overlap, I'd still probably pass for anything over $100 (the price I'd be willing to shell out for a portable gaming device these days). Of course, if it worked wirelessly anywhere via connection to a bluetooth phone or whatever, I'd likely be willing to put up with a level of quality similar to my laptop play for maybe $150-$175ish."

(Moral of the story #1: I'm a cheap microlimit-playing bastard)

But the question still has me thinking, so I figured I'd pose it here.

How much would you be willing to pay for the following devices? Assume all of them have a similar footprint, a little smaller and fatter than a DVD case; and that the screen is a quality LCD display. Also, by "connect" I mean that they'll effectively have celphone (CDMA/GSM/whatever) internet access through some built-in means (which might effect your answer for the multitabling clients -- introduced lag could be an issue, IMO).

1) A device that can connect to any Internet poker room with a PC-equivalent GUI, allows for multitabling at the max number of tables for each client, and allows for multiple clients simultaneously. Additionally, this device can handle PokerTracker and PV/GT+ (your choice). This is basically an extremely small form factor PC with a somewhat limited interface.

2) A device that can connect to a single poker room (let's say Party or your favorite affiliate) and offers its own stat tracking and possible room overlays. Multitabling to the maximum for that client is still allowed.

3) A single-table, no-stats device that will connect to a single popular poker room

4) A single-table, no-stats device that will connect to a device-specific poker room for real-money play (eg, the "Sony PSP Poker Room") that isn't affiliated with any other poker sites.

How much?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: How much would you pay?

If it can't connect wirelessly anywhere I have no interest. If it can, I would pay somewhere between $300-$400 plus maybe a small monthly fee.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:09 PM

It would have to be able to connect through WiFi and I would absolutely not pay a monthly fee. (that sort of contradicts the use of WiFi, I have free WiFi from clientele in my bar in Amsterdam)

I have a PalmOne Tungsten C which I bought for us$300 which is WiFi enabled, it would have to beat serious [censored] out of that machine before I'd pay more.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Nothing
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 AM

psp already has wifi all you need is party or others to translate thier software to psp language and package it on whatever type disk it takes. i am waiting for 2nd or 3rd generation psp (figure a year, to get the bugs out)but i would get it sooner if it had online poker for money. one table at a time without pt is fine if i can play in the park or at the bar or anywhere with a device a little bigger than an ipod. plays music too. obviously i would spend the 250 for it but would expect the software for free.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:35 AM

How much are you charging?

Lori
Old 04-15-2005, 12:43 AM

Do you sell P.O.T. at your bar also?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 AM

You send me $650 on Paradise, I'll send you a Party Poker-playing wireless toy on Stars.

I still haven't decided exactly how much I'd pay for the first two.. the last two I wouldn't be interested in. And the concept of a monthly fee isn't something I had considered.. I'm not a big fan of "subscriptions" for games. Which means that my price I'd be willing to pay, were there a subscription, goes down. Hmm.