Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Top pair with weak kicker+second nut flush draw

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($25.4)
SB ($31.05)
BB ($25.53)
UTG ($24.93)
UTG+1 ($15.93)
UTG+2 ($13.8)
MP1 ($23.9)
MP2 ($12.45)
MP3 ($42.7)
CO ($15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $4.

Turn: ($14) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($14) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $34

Would like comments on all streets
Regards
Jocke
Old 04-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Top pair with weak kicker+second nut flush draw

I think your flop raise is way too much. Why try and bully people out of a hand on which you have the second nut flush draw. A raise is good to get the free card but keepig a few people in isn't a bad idea for when you hit. Since the pot is so big on the turn you pretty much have to check behind for the free card. His check indicates some weakness but because of your overbet on the flop he might think you have a made hand and doesnt want to charge you for the free card. When you miss the flush on the river he knows this because of your check on the turn and fires immediately. I wouldn't call the river bet as he is more often than not ahead.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 PM

I would raise a little bit more on the flop (probably make it around $7 or so, that's a pot-sized raise), and I would fold the river.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:38 AM

ok, I unfortunatly left out the read that I had on this player, this guy was fairly solid, a bit loose preflop 30%VP$IP/10%PFR but solid postflop, so I started thinking.

If he had top pair, two pair or a set, he would raise this flop or at least raise my raise and never check the turn, he raises big draws so if he had the ace high flush draw or the Qc Jc, he would have raised the flop after the first guy bet, not just call.
He would not call my raise with just middle pair.

I was almost certain by the river that he had some kind of missed draw since it was an obvious brick, so I called.

Is the preflop limp ok? K8 suited is a weak hand but with this many limpers and the button I thought it was ok to take a cheap peak at the flop

Regards
Jocke
Old 04-15-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the preflop limp ok? K8 suited is a weak hand but with this many limpers and the button I thought it was ok to take a cheap peak at the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop limp is fine. Flop raise was fine (you got the free card). I would've folded the river. He came out betting and you can't beat top pair.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy was fairly solid, a bit loose preflop 30%VP$IP/10%PFR but solid postflop, so I started thinking.

If he had top pair, two pair or a set, he would raise this flop or at least raise my raise and never check the turn, he raises big draws so if he had the ace high flush draw or the Qc Jc, he would have raised the flop after the first guy bet, not just call.
He would not call my raise with just middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing this predictably is not the mark of a solid post-flop player.

[ QUOTE ]
I was almost certain by the river that he had some kind of missed draw since it was an obvious brick, so I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever works.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:58 AM

Fold the river unless you know he's a habitual bluffer.. or if his eye twitched.

Edit: Alright, saw the read on the player. If you reason out an the hands that beat you than I guess it's alright to call.. you ruled out Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but not QJo? I can see someone playing QJo like this.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:50 PM

I fire out the turn and check behind the river.

If check raised on the turn I will only call a min. check raise.