Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Give me a line: 88 10/20

Party 10/20.

I open raise 88 in MP. CO 3-bets. He's a solid-ish player who raises every time he enters a pot as far as I recall. I don't remember seeing him 3-beet much, but only because I don't remember it being raised ahead of him much. These games aren't as aggressive as everyone makes out. Anyway.

Folded back to me and I call. Anyone want to cap here?

Flop: A T 4.

What kind of line should I take here?

Guy.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Give me a line: 88 10/20

I hate a bet-fold in this spot. I think I like a check call, lead the turn, fold to a raise in this spot. I haven't tried it enough to know if that line is any good though.

Krishan
Old 04-14-2005, 07:34 AM

im check-folding here unless i have a very good grip on my opponent to bring anymore chips in the middle with thirdpair, an ace on the flop, bad position and being 3-bet preflop. For most cases, i think excellent players may be able to show some profit with these kind of hands in such scenarios, but anybody less than that should keep their hands off it until they get there. They are easily big losers, and just slight winners if played optimally i think. Doesn't mean i don't know the wrenching feeling of folding here though [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 08:29 AM

check-fold, I doubt he's paying you off if he has a worse hand. And if he's a solid player as you say what do you think he 3-bets?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:29 PM

sometimes i'm tempted to call down if the ace is the only overcard to my pocket pair... with that T out there though, i think every had he 3bet with beats you, or has many many outs (KQ, KJ... QJs?) and i don't see him folded KK QQ JJ having position. i feel like a wimp and check fold the flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM

check-fold the flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:00 PM

Hehe. So check-fold is the consensus. I can live with that. Thanks everyone.

I checked the flop, he bet, I planned to fold but found myself clicking the call button: I'm new at 10/20 and you guys keep telling me it's super-aggressive, which I think is a lie, but anyway, I convinced myself I couldn't fold. Quite what my plan was for the rest of the hand I have no idea.

Turn: A. Check, check.

River: J. Yuck. I stupidly bet. He called. 55 is no good. I won.

So yeah, check-fold is good I think, because I had no way through the hand.

Are people routinely three-betting 5-5 preflop in this game?

Guy.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Default don\'t like that

I think that might be a bit expensive against a 3-bettor and 2 overs that are likely to have helped him.

Not to mention the SnG on the turn like that shows weakness more often and I will raise that almost all the time because I think its a draw. While lets say if I had 99, I just *might* check it. Then you get a free river and maybe a free SD.

With that being said, I think check/fold is best here and it's more smart than weak.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are people routinely three-betting 5-5 preflop in this game?

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes they are. Which is why I couldn't in good conscience add my voice to the chorus of those saying check/fold, even though they might quite possibly be right. At any limit below 10/20, sure. But you'll get 3-bet here by any Phil Hellmuth wannabe holding just about any pocket pair, as well as QJs or KJ.

It would be worth it to do a pokerstove/twodimes (forgot which one) analysis on this sucker, assuming Villain 3-bets with any pocket, KQ-KJ, QJ, and A9 and better. Any volunteers?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:26 PM

there really is no reason to give a preflop 3bettor in 10/20 credit for an ace. that being said, there are too many cards that can come on the turn and river that will either a) help him or b) scare you. being out of position will make it expensive to see a showdown.

what would you have done if he bet the turn? what if the turn was a face card?