Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Just made the money but shortstacked. What\'s my play?

Paradise Palmtree $10 Rebuy & Addon: 307 entrants

Paradise Poker (8 handed) converter

Blinds 2000-4000

(MTT) -- Seat 2 is the button

Seat 1: Boone-M (26,295 in chips)
Seat 2: DongWon (49,524 in chips)
Seat 4: pktchng (85,622 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO (19,205 in chips)
Seat 6: mla2000 (92,414 in chips)
Seat 8: Balas (100,265 in chips)
Seat 9: croats (55,329 in chips)
Seat 10: liquidsoul (40,080 in chips)

Preflop: Hero posts 4000 and is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 2000.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

What do you do?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Just made the money but shortstacked. What\'s my play?

I go broke unless I catch a club. He might fold to your push but from my experience with paradise I doubt it.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:33 AM

I would go for a pot sized bet if up against a tight player, a check-raise all-in if he is likely to bet.
I think you have enough money to still prefer a small win to a 35% chance of doubling, so you want to give the impression of a strong hand, which a push right off the bat won't do.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 AM

The checkraise is an excellent play, if Hero had slightly more chips (atleast 30k) and a potsized bet will just commit hero to the pot. Say he bet out 7-8k, UTG+1 calls, and turn blanks.
About 25k in the pot and hero is left with very little. Not a situation you want to be in.

Now, I don't know if hero's stack is 19k before or after posting the big blind, but it shouldn't matter. I'd push this flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 AM

The key here is that they are now in the money. Right after the bubble breaks a push is going to get called more often than not.

I might check here and even break out the tight weak and not be blowing all my chips on this hand.

After the bubble breaks is a great time to double up because most of the time your getting a call. So I would prefer to get my money in with some sort of a made hand or monster draw.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The checkraise is an excellent play

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-14-2005, 08:30 AM

It looks like you are down to T15,000 after posting this BB and there is about $10,000 in the pot. The only caller looks like Balas who is the big stack at the table with T96,000 after the call preflop.

What does him just calling mean? Usually someone with that many chips is an aggressive player or someone who took advantage of all the crazy all-in's that occur in the rebuy with some good cards.

Either way, If he's betting he'll probably make a pot sized bet which is T10,000. Check raising for another T5000 just gets him pot committed. I like pushing better b/c you avoid him making a play at the pot with nothing and then calling when pot committed. There's always a good chance he limped with a small pocket pair or suited connector and he'll lay down here.

I push.

Wombles
Old 04-14-2005, 08:44 AM

The only 2 reasonable plays in this position are pushing all-in or check/fold on that flop. The choice between the 2 is player dependent, but nothing else is close because it gives up what little bit of FE you may have.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 AM

Push or check-fold here. I'd be leaning more towards a push.

I think the C/R is a terrible play here, pricing in UTG+1 to call with anything if he leads out. The limp to me, if Villain is a typical, thinking, predictable $10+ MTT player, often means 55-99 or suited connecting cards. He may call anyway, but I think your Q and maybe your 7 are live as well. I push -- the only hands you're in trouble against are 44 or worse, KcXc. If he had KcAc, he'd of raised. Does he limp with TcKc or 9cKc??

I doubt it.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:07 AM

Pushing is really your only viable option here. There is no room for a check raise because you have no FE once he makes a bet at the pot. Check-folding is bad because if he bets 15k, you're getting nearly the 2-1 you need to make your flush with 2 cards to come and folding would leave you with less than 4 BB, posting 2k of it the next hand. Therefore, IMHO, open-pushing is clearly the best play.

Gavin