Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Default wsop seat deal - giving up too much?

I got HU at the end of a Pokerstars WSOP shootout. After 3rd place got knocked out, other guy offered me 4k for the seat when he had a chip lead of 7.7k to my 5.7k. I got him to $5k and we agreed. So he gets the 10k wsop seat + 1k cash, I get 5k off him.

My chips = 42% equity.
5k/11k = 45%. So I guess I'm answering my own question. Looks good.

Though I believe I gave up an edge, since he was playing much more passively than I was (thousands of stars turbo SNG's helps there.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Is my thinking with the 42%/45% on track?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: wsop seat deal - giving up too much?

Not exactly, because you technically have to take the $160 2nd placed prize into account. But since that is so small compared to first place, your estimate is good enough.

One other thing to take into account, though, is that Stars gives you a free hotel room for 8 days, which is worth at least 1K. So with that taken into account, your deal might have been slghtly -EV.

Finally, if he was a passive opponent, you may have been able to dominate him heads up despite being behind in chips. In the end I guess the answer depends how variance-averse you are.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got HU at the end of a Pokerstars WSOP shootout. After 3rd place got knocked out, other guy offered me 4k for the seat when he had a chip lead of 7.7k to my 5.7k. I got him to $5k and we agreed. So he gets the 10k wsop seat + 1k cash, I get 5k off him.

My chips = 42% equity.

Though I believe I gave up an edge, since he was playing much more passively than I was (thousands of stars turbo SNG's helps there.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Don't you get something for finishing 2nd? Or is this a winner take all? Secured money must be removed before you figure out a chip split deal. However, if you do get something for 2nd, this is an even better deal than you thought. Congrats.

CSC
Old 04-14-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing to take into account, though, is that Stars gives you a free hotel room for 8 days, which is worth at least 1K. So with that taken into account, your deal might have been slghtly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

They give this to whoever wears PokerStars merchandise. So, you could just buy in through PStars and if you agreed to wear there clothes, you would get this offer.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:51 AM

I totally forgot the $160 (as soon as 9th place guy went), but that works in my favour (because I get it). Didnt think of the hotel deal either...oh well. I'll remmeber next time I'm HU at the end..heh.

I'd take the cash any day, since if I had 10 k in my bank acct, I wouldnt go spend it on a wsop seat. I reckon all the factrors added together for me make it a pretty reasonable deal.

thanks pop, and others, for comments.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My chips = 42% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Don't you get something for finishing 2nd? Or is this a winner take all? Secured money must be removed before you figure out a chip split deal. However, if you do get something for 2nd, this is an even better deal than you thought. Congrats.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

You get 160 more. Shouldn't affect the deal.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 AM

I'm curious as to how you do these deals in an online scenario. What is there to keep both sides honest? Is there a system in place?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to how you do these deals in an online scenario. What is there to keep both sides honest? Is there a system in place?

[/ QUOTE ]

A support person from Pokerstars facilitates the deal.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 AM

I think your deal is fine.
Anything can happen at this point.
We played a 650 qualifier together last night.
I forgot you were a BT.

PGA71
Old 04-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Nice fish