Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Default MTer\'s -- How do You Pick Games Efficiently?

Game selection is always important, perhaps never more so than now with so many sharks circling the PP waters.

It's one thing (no pun intended) when you're at a single table. Maybe you use your own or someone else's notes loaded in. Maybe you've entered you're favorite fish on the buddy list and troll for them specifically. When I started and had no notes, I'd watch a game for a couple of orbits and make a quick tally.

When you're playing 8, 16, or 64 tables, this is more of a challenge. Efficiency is key. I've tried a few software programs, but most either 1) aren't very useful for game/sucker selection or 2) too hard to use with multi-tabling. Using PokerSpy, for instance, requires a separate monitor just to put all its damn screens.

Has anyone found a method, manual or automated, that is effective and efficient?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: MTer\'s -- How do You Pick Games Efficiently?

Try using PlayerView. It's a very nice program that puts any stat that you want around the name of everyone at the table that you have played with. The best part is that it works with pokertracker, so if you have autoupdate running, the stats at the tables will update too. It's available at playerview.net i believe, give it a try and see what you think. I love it. It also gives you the Average VPIP, pot, etc, at the table, which makes it easy for me to see when my table has gone bad.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:32 PM

remember that PV can customize what you see. I can't handle too much info, so I only have hands play, VP$IP, PFR and the tables VP$IP.

The table VP$IP is good, becuase you can see when a table has turned from 50% to 19% (because all the donks fled and the sharks moved in).

I also have it show the last hand and the went to showdown cards. That's good if you are trying to get a feel for what someones calling/raising standards are. Not as good for multi tabling probably, but I generally only play 2.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not as good for multi tabling probably, but I generally only play 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only play 2 tables then you should add a ton of stats to PV, you have much much more time to interpret the data than us 8+ tablers.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you only play 2 tables then you should add a ton of stats to PV, you have much much more time to interpret the data than us 8+ tablers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a super point.

I tried that when I first got PV. I found I was on information overload. I am adding stats one at a time so I can get used to them.

With only 8K hands under my belt I found the other stats to be distracting and not very helpful. I can always hover on a player and get the rundown on all the stats.

2 tables right now sometimes feels rushed. If I had a bigger monitor it wouldn't be so bad, but I only have 1024x768. My $2/hr rate doesn't justify a bigger monitor.

-D
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Saint, why are there cards that I've boxed in white?

Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM

I've never seen anything about posting the last hand they've showndown. Is that feature on a newer version or am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:39 PM

Here's some info posted earlier this week:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 04-15-2005, 02:43 PM

"5 tackles for a loss" in the chat box.

Classic.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen anything about posting the last hand they've showndown. Is that feature on a newer version or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, new feature.