Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Default chop etiquette

when its folded to the sb and both blinds agree to a chop is it implied that it will be chopped every time? or when asked to chop, should i (in the bb) say something like, "sure, but it has to be everytime of not at all"?

also is it customary for both to show thier cards?

ty
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: chop etiquette

You should either always chop or never chop. Nothing is worse IMO than a "sometimes chopper." You can show if you want, or turbomuck, it doesn't matter. I usually don't even look at my cards, it's too painful when you know you're chopping AA.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:12 PM

I chopped an AA in the small blind on monday. I was the one who offered. I even showed the table.

-Yarney
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

The second time I played in a cardroom I was in the 1 seat and said to the player on my left that "I chop anything but aces." The dealer, who I had befriended, scolded me and told me that "you always chop or never chop." So now I always chop my aces along with my 83o.

I think that your best bet is to just ask the people on either side of you if they chop and whatever you agree on then thats what you should always do. It doesn't matter what you decide, just be consistent.

-Steve
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM

If you chose to chop, then you always chop. You can set pre-conditions however if you both agree. I for example do not chop when it is 6 handed or less.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when its folded to the sb and both blinds agree to a chop is it implied that it will be chopped every time? or when asked to chop, should i (in the bb) say something like, "sure, but it has to be everytime of not at all"?

also is it customary for both to show thier cards?

ty

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am in the BB or the SB I will wait to look at my cards till the action gets to me if everyone aheads of me folds. (I know some people only look when it is their action but I always peak early) Then I always offer to chop without looking at my cards. If the chop is agreed I muck face up just for the fun of it, not that it really matters.

Like others have said I would make up your mind to either always chop or never chop. The only time this might differ is if you are playing short handed.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 PM

I'm not a big fan of chopping in general but I'll always chop if asked to. It's kind of silly to ever say no if someone asked because the other guy will just fold to your first bet and you look like a jerk.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer, who I had befriended, scolded me and told me that "you always chop or never chop." So now I always chop my aces along with my 83o.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a dealer tells you that, befriended or not, tell him to shove it up his ass, and mind hid own damn business. It's not the dealers place to tell you that.

With that said, i will tell you, that you should chop either always or never!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Motor City Detroit

Motor City, Detroit Michigan, last week. 6 hours of 5/10 and 6 hours of 10/20. 12 hours total, NOT ONE POT WAS CHOPPED!!!! Etiquette?...you know the old saying..."any two cards, can win !!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a dealer tells you that, befriended or not, tell him to shove it up his ass, and mind hid own damn business. It's not the dealers place to tell you that.

With that said, i will tell you, that you should chop either always or never!

[/ QUOTE ]