Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM

Default WLLH: PF Limp-ReRaise

So, Lee Jones talks about the limp-raise pf as a great move pf if you're *sure* someone will bet behind you. The problem is, I've never seen conditions like this, nor do I really understand how sure "sure" is.

What do you think are the correct conditions for a pf limp-reraise?

I'll reply with my guess. I know this isn't a hand history, but I think blind responses would be more intersting, all the same.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: WLLH: PF Limp-ReRaise

The correct conditions are "not any game I've ever played in." Maybe in HU play or no-limit. Never in micro-limit.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 PM

having a maniac or two at your table might make this a good play, but only if you're, say, UTG with a monster.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 PM

There was a post not too long ago where the OP was playing with a guy who sat down at a 0.50/1 table with a $15k stack and announced that he would cap every single hand preflop (he followed through), and capped every street on his last hand. If I was holding AA or KK UTG at this table, this would be the very first time I have ever even considered the limp-reraise.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM

I've played in many cracked out live games where this is a great play UTG with your monsters. It is especially good if you are at a LAGgy table and have a tight image. Open raising UTG will get you little action with such an image but when you limp reraise, they will be scared, but never fold.

The first time I limp reraised AA UTG I was soooo scared of it getting limped around and me winding up feeling like an idiot later. But then the button raised and I felt like a genius. It's really quite the fun gamble that way, but like any gamble, if you can recognize your chance of success you will have the best of it.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-13-2005, 04:20 PM

I have never limp reraised in ring limit game I have played in. Nor do I forsee doing so in the near future. I am completely convinced that this has cost me very little, if any, money.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Here's an old thread of mine about the same thing. I still think I got the criteria right, but I also agree with SomethingClever's response too.

If you never LRR, you leave almost nothing behind. Also, if you don't intuitively know that right now is the right time to LRR, it's probably best to just PFR. Just my opinion.

By clicking the link, you also get to see very early posts from several posters you know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 04:46 PM

I was hoping that link would be a major n00b thread, where everybody looks like a tool.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:46 PM

sfer's response at the end of Grunch's older thread makes a lot of sense too. This play will not work well against "good" players. You tip your monster hands to the "good" players and fail to protect yourself against poor players.

Even if this is a bluff against a strong player, the likelihood of getting called down by a weak player outweigh the benefits of scaring off a better player.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM

I've had plenty a maniac sit down and raise a good 80-90% pre-flop hands. I think they've read Doyle's Super System and it talks about sitting at a table and raising everything in order to loosen everybody up, because then you go back to playing a tight game and everyone else is all crazy loose.

I don't really think it works, but if I'm sitting on the right of one of these crazies I might be pretty certain he's going to raise it.

That said... I still wouldn't limp-re-raise. I'd love for him to make it 3 to everyone so it's likely just me a el-loco for the hand.

KO