Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Bill Owens 5 23.81%
Wesley Clark 10 47.62%
Other / Don't know 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Do You Drink When You Play?

Do you like to drink alcoholic beverages when you play at a B&M?

Does it hurt your game at all? Do you get careless, reckless, too loose, too aggressive, lose any judgement or tactical ability?

Does it help your game in any way? Maybe help you relax, concentrate better etc?

Does it hurt your game just a little, but not so much that it offsets the social benefits/enjoyment?

Can you have just one or two drinks spaced out over a long period, or do you tend to drink a lot once you start?

Post any other comments.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Do You Drink When You Play?

if youre going to play seriously, id advise against it, but hey everyone is different
Old 04-13-2005, 02:17 PM

The poll questions came out in the reverse order I wanted them to, but oh well...

I only started playing recently and haven't gone to a B&M yet. I was playing in a home game about 5 months ago though, and was doing very well until I started drinking. I had a good time, but my game went to hell and I gave back all my winnings.

I play a lot better now though as I've been studying the game. I don't know how much drinking would affect my game, but I suspect it would probably hurt it a lot. I don't usually like to have just one or two drinks in a social setting. I don't drink often, but I have a tendency to drink a bunch once I get started.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if youre going to play seriously, id advise against it, but hey everyone is different

[/ QUOTE ]
i concure, unless you want to sit at my table. then drink away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 PM

If a lot of players at my table are drinking I will usually order a beer every few hours just to help keep the atmosphere friendly and laid back.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Drinking may be good for your table image to induce calls.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM

I think its amazing that a 76% of people answer that their opponents drinking made them worse, but only 55% feel that it makes their own game any worse. Talk about self delusions!! If you can noticably see your opponents playing worse because of alcohol do these people think they are immune to the effects of alcohol on their own game??? The people that answered this way are always more than welcome in my game.

A lot of times if i am in AC by myself instead of going to a club alone like a loser I will end my night "drinking for free" while playing 2/4. There is a very noticable effect on my win rate when i do this... not sure exactly what to attribute it to since i am usually on my 10th captain and coke b4 I realize my game is not what it used to be [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 03:45 PM

There was a study that said that if you learn something while drunk, you can better perform that task while drunk and can't do it while sober. I think it was called state-dependent learning or something like that.

That having been said, I start drinking more when I'm playing low limits with my friends so I can learn how to play drunk.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:52 PM

This is true. I drank a gallon of wine while studying for my WWII & the cold war final. I had some wine b4 the test and aced it!
Now if only i could find a way to legally be able to do my
job while drunk [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its amazing that a 76% of people answer that their opponents drinking made them worse, but only 55% feel that it makes their own game any worse. Talk about self delusions!! If you can noticably see your opponents playing worse because of alcohol do these people think they are immune to the effects of alcohol on their own game??? The people that answered this way are always more than welcome in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, alcohol impairs your judgment. One part that's impaired is your ability to assess your own impairment.