Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Default too tricky for my own good?

I'm already anticipating the answers.

PokerStars $10+1, blinds are 15/30.
I have 590 in chips due to some probably unadvisable horsing around with TT. Villain in this hand has 1110. Eight handed.

I pick up 55 in the BB. UTG is the villain, he limps, there are two other limpers, the SB completes, I check.

*** FLOP *** (pot = 150) [8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Checked to UTG, who bets 90. Folded to me, I call.
*** TURN *** pot = 330 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I push.

?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: too tricky for my own good?

i like it.

but then again, i play the $6s, and utg limped with 86s

easy with the aggression, chief...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 AM

Push on the flop.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this line one bit, unless you mean c/r'ing all in, in which case it might have some merit. This play will get me crushed by an 8 if it's out there (there are 3 people yet to act after me, not to mention the possibility that SB is sandbagging) and will probably not move 66 or 77, for example. By contrast, I think my line fixes both of these problems, or is at least better at fixing them.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 AM

I would actually fold.

I just thought saying push on the flop would be interesting.

Way too much thinking though on your part. There are a bunch of people in the pot, you have 55 and didnt hit a set. Be gone.

Notice how you first lost a ton of chips with 10s (you probably over played them) and now you are again getting involved in a multiway pot with a weak hand. This a leak perhaps? SNG's are not this complicated. Do more folding in situations like this.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would actually fold.

I just thought saying push on the flop would be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Sweet advice.

[ QUOTE ]

Way too much thinking though on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cool, I like thinking. If you don't, just motor back to OOT.

[ QUOTE ]
There are a bunch of people in the pot, you have 55 and didnt hit a set. Be gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time it gets back to me, there's one other person in the pot, and what hands do you put him on? This is a $10, so there's obviously a limit to how much rationality one can expect, but he is not betting an 8 this way if he's like almost all low buy-in players I've encountered, and so the range of holdings that he can have that I'm behind is quite small - 66,77. I think he would have raised 99+ preflop, probably. The point of just calling at this point and pushing on the turn was to look as much like an 8 as possible. He called with A3 spades for the flush and gutshot wheel draw on the river and blanked out. The fact that he called with such a holding suggests to me that the big flaw in my plan was thinking that I could be scary enough representing an 8 to get him to fold anything. At the 20s on Paradise, which was where I'd been cutting my teeth before, I think this play works more successfully.

[ QUOTE ]
Notice how you first lost a ton of chips with 10s (you probably over played them) and now you are again getting involved in a multiway pot with a weak hand. This a leak perhaps? SNG's are not this complicated. Do more folding in situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot with the 10s the flop came 7 9 J, two-tone. I took a shot at it, since I'd raised PF, took another when the turn came Q to give me four more straight outs and a chance at scaring off any J that came along, and got moved in on when an A came on the river, also completing the flush. I folded at that point and still had 600 chips or so. Is it great SNG strategy? No, probably not, but I think it's worth pointing out that this is at Stars, where I have a lot more leeway to make plays like this. My sample size is very small still, but we've consistently been getting to the money with an average stack that is 30 BBs deep. I don't have to sit stock still for the first 30 minutes as a result.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Way too much thinking though on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cool, I like thinking. If you don't, just motor back to OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but Im a strong believer that a skill in SNG's is learning how to force yourself not to think, to not put yourself in situations where you have to.

I stand by my thought that you shouldnt be putting yourself in these situations, because quite simply you dont need to.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but Im a strong believer that a skill in SNG's is learning how to force yourself not to think, to not put yourself in situations where you have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it can possibly be to your advantage to not think, unless your thinking is wrong. Long term, I'd much rather make a couple of minor mistakes in SNGs but be able to think clearly about a wide range of poker situations, but that's just me and my interests. Having a system where you don't need to think might be very nice if you're trying to grind out 4+ tables, but since I'm playing 2 at the moment since this is entirely recreational for me, I'd rather think and have fun.

As for not getting myself into these situations: it was checked to me in the BB, and after the flop action, I'm now in a situation where I think I have the best hand probably 80% of the time based on what I've seen. It's a situation I'd happily get myself into again. Survival's great and all, and dodging marginal situations is good, but I really don't think this situation is marginal.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 AM

fold for the 90..

if you absolutly must play it then pushing the flop is better than cold calling for a card. On the turn here a CR-push is better then a cold push IMO as well... but I never let it get that far.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 AM

You have no hand and no draw an opponent has shown some strength. This is as clear a fold as you can get.
Remember "No set no bet" it will serve you well.
Wait until you playing in the $200 dollar SnG before making any tricky moves, then don't make them anyway. You much, much better off avoiding these sort of plays as it usually ends in tears. Sometimes you get away with it but mostly they will call you down with any old rubbish.