Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Default When will this loosing streek end God help me

I have been on a devastateing loosing streek over the last month or so. Its got to the point where iv payed more in rake than iv won and iv made more from bonuses than i have from actually winning playing poker. At this at this rate it will be only be the bonuses that keep me afloat, soon! I seem to have gone from winning 50 to $60 per night to loosing up to 40 or 50 per session! The games have definatly got tougher to beat and the advantage i once had has gone. The days of fish who blindly call down with ever second hand have gone! The fish of today are semi-loose who know sort of how to play well and this combined with a few suckouts destroys my win rate. I find it very hard to find any games at $1-2 over several sites with more than 2 or 3 players seeing the flop each hand. And when they do they smell when they are beaten and fold! Also most of my big hand dont hold up, some semi-loose player hangs around and beats my 3 of kind with a low streight or similar. God im beating my head against a brick wall!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: When will this loosing streek end God help me

Play Party Poker. The games there are much softer than the ones you describe. If you don't think so, learn how to play better.
-James
Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 PM

I play fine, Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats, not best but hardly a fish. I can hardly find those fishy games on party you describe. I mean i was beating $1-2 for 4,2 BB/100 over 8000 hands, so my play cant be that bad! But in the last month Iv dropped $600 mostly at $1-2 on the cryptos and party, pacfic and paradise. Maybe this is a downswing but I know the games arnt as soft as they used to be! Im going to review all my poker books and maybe even drop below $1-2 untill i can get on top of this!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play fine

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements are mutually exclusive. Increase your aggression post-flop. One of the following is probably happening: 1) You're losing many pots because you fail to raise to protect and are being outdrawn by opponents who are correctly chasing you, 2) you're calling in situations where you are likely beaten and don't have proper odds to chase, or 3) both 1 and 2.

8K hands is not a lot. Sounds like you may be coming back down to earth (i.e., a more realistic win rate for a passive postflop player) with your downswing.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im rated as tight agressive-passive on my PT stats

[/ QUOTE ]

From an AIM conversation with scrub a couple hours ago:

scrub: the other revelation I have had this month is that the population of "donks with decent stats" is growing by leaps and bounds
Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From an AIM conversation with scrub a couple hours ago:

scrub: the other revelation I have had this month is that the population of "donks with decent stats" is growing by leaps and bounds

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a good poker player, yet, but I think I play OK. I am "OK" enough, I think, to spot bad play and good play (though not without the occasional mistake and not with the ability to spot good versus inspired, read-based, great play).

Those caveats aside, I see a lot of players that I consider pretty bad poker players who carry PT stats that are considered very solid on these boards. Stats tell a very small portion of the story of one's game. My experience online is relatively short, though, so I have no idea if this represents a substantial change from the games a year or two ago.

Long story short - while I can't opine on the growth rate of "donks with decent stats," I would second that there is a reasonably healthy population of such beasts roaming around out there.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 AM

Play 1/2 (6-max) on party, incredibly good game.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap me too. this is totally true.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

leave me out of this
Old 04-13-2005, 10:26 AM

i lost 87.5% of my bankroll in 4 days. but then again, i only had 80$ in my bankroll :]