Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Jumping in the deep end (NL $1000)

Hi all,

I've historically played limit hold 'em exclusively. As my limit game has started to reach the point where I'm able to think about what my opponent might have, what he thinks I have, what he thinks I think he has... I've begun considering the possibility that I might have the tools to play this nasty game they call big bet poker.

So, hello big bet forum.

Here's a hand I played tonight that I found interesting, perhaps you will too. It'll take me a little while to get the hang of the kinds of posts you're looking for, bear with me.

NL $1000

My table image is probably that of a fairly tight predictable player. UTG hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, but he does limp in EP with decent hands. I have $1400 in front of me, UTG about 1K.

UTG limps for $10. Folded to me in the SB with a beauty:

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I make it $35. BB folds. UTG thinks a bit and calls.

Flop (pot: $80):

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check. BB bets $45. I call.

Turn (pot: $170): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. BB bets $150. I call.

River (pot: $470): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $200.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Jumping in the deep end (NL $1000)

i hate this line.

you have no information, he should have you on a very very narrow set of hands.

broke the cardinal rule. but, nice hand selection ;-).
Old 04-12-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
broke the cardinal rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the cardinal rule? Thanks for the input.

-Eric
Old 04-12-2005, 06:40 AM

I like this line. I would probably try to eek out some more value on the river, $250-$350 (table texture and situationally dependent), but other than that, seems nice and solid.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you have no information, he should have you on a very very narrow set of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a perfect reason to play the hand as he did then? Villian could be betting PPs, A high, other random hands, etc. The pot stayed reasonable and Hero probably wins the most when ahead and loses the least when behind.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:57 AM

If you're gonna stop and go the turn, might as well raise the turn right then and there. I don't see the benefit of waiting for the river to bet.

Make it $450 straight on the turn after he bets $150, and you'll most likely take it down. If he pushes, you have a decision to make, but I think it's a call given he could have many overpairs to that board. If he smooth calls your turn raise, the only bet you can really make on the river is a push, so just check call to lose least / make most.

Hope it worked out.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Nice Post!

This is a classic 'way ahead' or 'far behind' situation so I like your line. You maximize your gain if you are ahead and minimize your losses when behind.

I'm not sure whether i like the size of the river bet though (or whether i like betting at all)...I think you should either check the river (and plan to call), or bet more on the river and truely pot commit yourself. Problem with your bet is it leaves you in a real tricky spot if villian pushes as you will be getting very good odds to call. It also let's villian of the hook if he has been bluffing.

Of course there are some benefits to your river bet like getting small pairs, 10's, etc to pay you off (sometimes). All in all, i think check calling is the best play on the river.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 AM

The flat call on the flop doesn't seem so bad, because unless he has 88 i think you are about 99% sure you have him beat here. I might raise on the flop, but you definitely should be raising on the turn IMO. Assuming you smooth call flop/raise turn/i think that river line is correct.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 AM

Looks pretty good to me. I would consider raising a bit more out of position there preflop. The pot stayed small and the board wasn't dangerous, so inducing bluffs was ok, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 99-JJ there, so betting out and then checking may have been better (in case a scare overcard comes to his PP that shuts him down). Nice first post. The river bet could be a little more also, but yours was ok.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Hmmmmm...

Debated not even replying but here goes.

I don't like any street of this hand. Most everyone else thought it was fine so that's why I hesitate.

Preflop you do nothing with your little raise other than give your opponent information. You tell him you have a good hand without gaining anything in return because he will call your raise with anything he limped with. You do succeed in building the pot slightly. I would raise more, at least $60. You say he limps with good cards in EP, chances are he might want to commit a decent amount preflop when you have the nuts.

Flop I would bet, about the pot. Once again you figure to have the best hand so bet it.

Turn ditto.

River bet more.

My line probably results in you taking down the pot preflop and making $20 on the hand I realize. However, most people (myself included) have difficulty laying down their big pairs when they are beat. Hitting a pocket pair against AA or KK has to be one of my big money makers in NL. I counter this by pricing my opponents out their hands the whole way, I don't slowplay or allow them to stay in cheap.

The two biggest pots I've ever won in my life occured at $1000 PL tables in the last week with AA.

Hand 1 - me AA, villians KQs and 66. KQs and I take turns raising the pot while 66 calls until we are all-in for a $3000 pot preflop. Thank you KQs.

Hand 2 - me AA, villian AQo. (both with ~1700 stacks) I raise pot preflop. AT3r flop. I bet the pot of ~$400 with the nuts. Villian calls. Turn K, I pot it all-in for ~1200, villian calls. River blank. Thank you AQo. Final pot ~$3600.

JKratzer