Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 AM

Default 77 against a habitual bluffer

Ok, here's one hand from my single tabling experiment.

Online 5-10 game. Folded to the CO, who open limps. All else aside, this is almost a one play read on the player. He is either playing weak loose (most probable), or tricky with a big hand (less probable). I had alread pegged him as loose, so that made that read even more likely. The button folds, and I have red pocket 7s. I raise. The BB, a loose player who likes to take stabs at pots once he gets involved calls, and the limper also calls. 6sbs, and three players to the flop.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, and the limper folds. Given that the BB didn't raise to put pressure on the LP player, I think that he either has a monster, or he completely whiffed and is taking one off. I've seen him raise the turn, and fold to a three bet, and earlier, I had bottom pair and a flush draw, and he raised the turn, and I decided to call him down on the river, and he had a semibluff that missed. So, I know that he likes to raise the turn as a bluff.

Turn, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet, and get raised. I have a heart, and I have an actual pair. I don't think that his raise, means that he has a made flush, because I think he would have raised the flop with any real draw. I think that he probably just acquired a draw, so it might be a backdoor flush draw, or it might be a straight draw. I can't see three betting here, because against this player, I want to get to a showdown, and I really don't want to spend a lot of bets to get there.

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Now Clarkmeister's theorem says to bet here, but in this case, I am pretty sure that my opponent is going to bet a lot more hands than he is going to call with, and that he will call with every hand that would beat me, so I check instead, he bets, and I call.

He had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for King high, and MHIG.

After that, he called me a moron [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but, I had seen him take a shot at most pots that he was involved in, so I didn't really give his turn raise that much credit. At the same time, I didn't really want to get into a raising war with my pair of sevens, although given his hand, that might have been the best play, not giving him a chance to hit his 5 outer.

When you get raised on the turn, third pair, and fourth pair on the river isn't usually good. But, given his earlier play, I strongly suspected that my mediocre hand was going to be good often enough that calling down was the right play here.

Maybe he's right, and I am a moron, and more often than not, I think that I am going to fold to the turn raise, but here, given that he didn't raise the flop on a coordinated flop, which he probably would do to get out the CO, if he had a made hand, or a strong draw. I just felt like his play reeked of someone who thought that he might be able to steal a pot, without cards.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: 77 against a habitual bluffer

I don't really like the bet on the turn if you kno he likes to take shots at the pot. From ur discription i think that he will raise you with a pair or a flush draw and you arent gaining anything from this bet in terms of folding equitity or information. I do agree with the check on the river tho
Old 04-12-2005, 05:32 AM

I didn't want to give a free card, and I was hoping that he would fold to a bet rather than continuing to draw.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to give a free card, and I was hoping that he would fold to a bet rather than continuing to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey bob, not wanting to give a free card sounds good, but i don't think he's ever going to fold something you want him to fold.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:57 AM

hey bob, not wanting to give a free card sounds good, but i don't think he's ever going to fold something you want him to fold.

I started to reply, how about....no he wouldn't fold that, or how about.... no, not that either. I think you are right.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:38 AM

Still, don't you need to make him pay the toll?

It cracks me up when the bluffer calls the player with the made hand a moron. AK called down 89 on a table I was on yesterday. 89 had nothing and he went on for an orbit about how AK was a terrible player. Like his bluff had never been called before. Is the dude just embarrassed to be caught playing poker, for cripes sake? fotflmao

Really nice hand, PB.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 AM

Bob,

I always find your posts very interesting.

It sounds as if you feel he would raise the flop with a K or a J or two hearts so I see absolutely no reason not to bet the turn and call the raise. River check/call seems fine as well given your description. It seems you win more by check/calling and letting him take a stab at it.

Nice hand.

I like your idea of cutting down tables at times to regain focus.

Chief
Old 04-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Bob, say you didn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - what if anything changes?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM

say you didn't have a - what if anything changes?

Then I am more likely to bet the river.