Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Waiting until the river - 3/6 AQo

Was going to wait until the turn to raise, but once I saw that the BB might come along for the ride and that the board had almost no draws whatsoever, I decided to wait until the river. You like?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

Edit: Sorry if this is so standard that it's a waste of space, just a check-up
Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Waiting until the river - 3/6 AQo

no no no and no. Protect your hand, protect your hand!!! Heads up you might be able to pull this, but I want BB to PAY to draw out on me. Also, you do this to get INFORMATION. What if MP1 has a set here? Or some raggedy two pair. Your going to find that out by raising.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no no no and no. Protect your hand, protect your hand!!! Heads up you might be able to pull this, but I want BB to PAY to draw out on me. Also, you do this to get INFORMATION. What if MP1 has a set here? Or some raggedy two pair. Your going to find that out by raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, that's why you have check-ups. Generally I would raise here, but I figured the board was so drawless that I could wait here to get more money in.

So I should be raising to protect my hand from middle pairs from pairing up? What if my ace was paired and not the queen?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
no no no and no. Protect your hand, protect your hand!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

From what, From what!!!

What hand are you afraid of on this raggedy ass board that is getting odds on the flop? A King? That's 14-1 for him to spike that. Someone turning a set? That's 22-1. You don't want to blow those hands out.

[ QUOTE ]
What if MP1 has a set here? Or some raggedy two pair. Your going to find that out by raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 pair is unlikely. A set usually waits to the turn. You're likely up against top pair worse kicker which some will 3 bet you with.

You're not folding this hand to aggression on the flop.

If there were 1 or 2 more opponents in, I can maybe see a raise.

b
Old 04-12-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I should be raising to protect my hand from middle pairs from pairing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

A PP? No, let them in. There's no way they'd recoup what they need in implied odds to spike a set on the turn.

b
Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 AM

i dont mind your play at all. The board is draw less and anyone drawing to 2 pair or a set isnt near enough odds. They are already paying enough for there horrible draws and i like to keep that third man in there for 1 more bb before i raise. I also agree that it is v unlikely a set is out there from there play bb wouldnt come out betting flop and other gujy would raise turn with a set. and what 2 pair 3-2 q-2 q-3? i think your play is not standard since check calling is dirty but i dont think its -ev really.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 AM

This is supposted to be my line! I like it a lot eventhough everyone one will give you [censored] for it. Anyone who doesn't understand why this is good needs to re-evaluate their game imo (though a turn raise is understandable).

Brad
Old 04-12-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(though a turn raise is understandable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise the turn on that blank turn card? The odds are cut in 1/2 of what they were getting on the flop so they are drawing even thinner and only to 1 card.

b
Old 04-12-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
(though a turn raise is understandable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise the turn on that blank turn card? The odds are cut in 1/2 of what they were getting on the flop so they are drawing even thinner and only to 1 card.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I didn't clarify myself. A turn raise is understandable depending on what falls. If a total blank falls then yes I agree with calling again as I use this play all the time. If a card falls that could give someone a legit draw, then rasing the turn makes sense.

Brad
Old 04-12-2005, 05:32 AM

I just did this too, but it was heads up.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 9s 9c (two pair, nines and fives).
Hero has Ah As (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.66 BB. </font>