Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Play back...

2/2/5Backroom card game, 9 players. Crazy LAG industrialist with a lot of money throwing it everywhere. Game has clamped shut because four out of five hands he's raising insane amounts of money. (More money in the room than I've ever seen, I'm average stack at 2K, so I'm emotionally anxious as security is negligible.) I haven't seen a playable hand in over an hour, and haven't seen a flop in longer than that.
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG- raises to 20
mp1- folds
mp2-folds
mp3-calls
lp1-folds
lp2-folds
Button folds
Hero(SB)-calls
Villain-(~4500)raises 200 all day
UTG folds-
MP3 folds-
Hero-Reraises all in 2,040

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Play back...

I'm still thinking about your play, but my initial reaction was that UTG must be [censored] retarded.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:23 AM

UTG later claimed he mucked the speed limit; Said that he would have called heads up but didn't like two people behind him to act... I don't know if he's full of it or not, but if he did I can understand his logic to a certain extent. Wouldn't have raised UTG personally, but he's not me.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2/2/5Backroom card

[/ QUOTE ]

Backroom game with poorer than average players plus a maniac? EV+

[ QUOTE ]
I'm emotionally anxious as security is negligible

[/ QUOTE ]

Very EV-

Garland
Old 04-11-2005, 03:53 AM

At first I thought your raise was way too big of an overbet, but after looking again I see your stack size was kind of awkward to make any raise LESS than all in at this point. I probablyy would have played it much the same way against a maniac. Furthermore, your all in here may prevent him from trying to steal from you in the future.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/2/5Backroom card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backroom game with poorer than average players plus a maniac? EV+

[/ QUOTE ]
True... Not all of them poor players, but I'm certainly among the best.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

I'm emotionally anxious as security is negligible

Very EV-

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know. GOD, I know... When there's 20+K in a room with no gaurds, I frankly can't help it. I don't care how tight nit the players are, it's a bit of a scary scenario. Anxiety certainly had a bit to do with this decision.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:12 AM

I like it. It sounds like villain has some gambool in him though so he might call this sometimes taking the worst of it just to feel the rush of turning his cards uo\p. I would only make this move if I had another buy in handy because this sounds like a juicy game and I wouldn't want to pass up future EV if villains KJs sucked out.

-Steve
Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Hmmm...I like it, but this is a pretty high risk/variance play, I'm still on the fence whether this is better/worse than calling, flopping an Ace, and check-raising all in. If your bankroll is infinite then fine, if is isn't, it seems like you are 60/40 for 2k....soemtimes I like a little bit of a better edge with that kind of money. As for metagame purposes, and to set up the rest of the table, assuming he folds, do you show? I think I would, and then I would just play solid for an hour or two, and do it again etiher against villain or someone else that is perceptive, but this time have the goods. How would you play AA here? Same move? Or smooth-call, check-raise all in?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/2/5Backroom card game, 9 players. Crazy LAG industrialist with a lot of money throwing it everywhere. Game has clamped shut because four out of five hands he's raising insane amounts of money. (More money in the room than I've ever seen, I'm average stack at 2K, so I'm emotionally anxious as security is negligible.) I haven't seen a playable hand in over an hour, and haven't seen a flop in longer than that.
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG- raises to 20
mp1- folds
mp2-folds
mp3-calls
lp1-folds
lp2-folds
Button folds
Hero(SB)-calls
Villain-(~4500)raises 200 all day
UTG folds-
MP3 folds-
Hero-Reraises all in 2,040

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, but I can't decide if it's better EV to try to hit a flop and get all his mnoey in as a big favorite. I did a similar thing on a much smaller scale to a maniac at the Borgata, making it 25 2/3 of the time in a 1-2 game (I went all in for 250 with A9 after his 25 raise). It depends on:

1) What do you think his hand range for calling is preflop
2) How much money will he donate to you with s**t hands postflop.

If he's the kind of maniac who regains some sanity postflop, the push looks better. If his hand range is pretty wide postflop, so that he'll call with bad aces but not with anything, I like it. If he'll call with anything I don't like it, you can get better EV later.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Results

First, let me reiterate now that I was emotionally jittery at the time. I make my raise and he starts cursing at me, saying something like "I have a good hand... you checked the first time... what the hell could you have that's that far ahead of me...?"
After about three minutes of this, I've realize how big a mistake I've made, mainly because he's taking too much time to just be advertising. He's muttering the whole time, trying to decide whether I'm sitting on 10/10-Q/Q or K/K, A/A. Finally he shakes his head and says "The odds are there to call, kid, but I don't like flipping a coin for that much against your jacks." He flashes A/Ko, and mucks it.