Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Considering setting up a home game.

So, due to some weird stuff that went down at the home game that I've been attending, I'm considering setting up my own.

My estimates so far are 300ish for a folding table, 300-600ish for chips, and 50 ish for cards (kems/copags)

Money is one thing. Players is another. Other than things like HomePokerGames.com, how do you get PLAYERS? Most of my friends that don't already play in the game that I'm considering leaving dont play poker at all.

-Alpha
Old 04-11-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Considering setting up a home game.

[ QUOTE ]
My estimates so far are 300ish for a folding table, 300-600ish for chips, and 50 ish for cards (kems/copags)...
Money is one thing. Players is another. Other than things like HomePokerGames.com, how do you get PLAYERS? Most of my friends that don't already play in the game that I'm considering leaving dont play poker at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it curious that you are considering spending way too much money on supplies when you don't even have players for a game.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 AM

I'd spend some initial money on beer/soda and food to get your non poker playing friends over, have a small buy in tournament for $10 or $20 to get them interested, pitch the WSOP/WPT/Bravo poker shows, chances are they have seen it on TV or at least will know what you are talking about. Once you get them hooked and have a player base you can add the other stuff.

Oh and I would consider not kicking their asses the first time they play, make it a fun time and they will want to come back.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:19 PM

I would look into the free local bar tourneys. If you become a semi-regular you'll get to know a LOT of players that way. As it stands, I can now easily get 6-10 people on almost any night for a game.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Chesspain, I'm not sure if this is one of those "chicken or egg" problems first. I can't very well get people to go to a nonexistant game, and you're right, it IS a large amount of money without having people coming to it guarenteed.

Anyway, this is just something I'm looking into, if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't pan out, no skin off my back.

-Alpha
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM

I'd start off slow. No need to invest money until you know you'll have plenty of people. Use paper cards (and not KEMs). Can get them for $1.25 a deck in bulk. Make it a BYOFC (that's bring your own f-in chair). Use your kitchen table if your wife/gf/mom allows. Go to BJs/Costco and get cheap-o plastic chips, or buy a set of 11.5 gram chips from e-bay. Grab an egg-timer to keep track of the blinds.
You don't need all the nice stuff to have a good game. If the atmosphere is good and everyone is fun and friendly the quality of the cards, chips and tables won't matter.

As the game bets bigger, sure, go ahead and invest in a custom table, plastic cards, nice chips, etc.

Starting out should cost you next to nothing.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:25 PM

500 faux clay chips shipped: $50
Table you build yourself: $150
1 setup copags: $15

$215

Not too bad for a hobby

edit: oh yeah, cheap folding chairs are available from party rental suppliers, I paid $6 each for my "folding sams". not all that comfortable but they're seats. I'm the only guy who has enough chairs for my BBQs too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Screening new players

- Fins