Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Folding TPWK in a big pot

Anybody disagree with how I played this hand?

Party 0.5/1 - No useful reads.

2 players limp in EP and I limp A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in UTG+2, two more players limp, the SB completes and the BB checks.

7 players to the flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Pot: 7SB

SB bets, BB calls, one of the EP limpers call, I raise and it's folded back to the SB who calls, the other two call.

4 players to the turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pot: 7.5BB

Checked to the EP limper who bets, I raise, SB now 3 bets, BB folds, EP player calls and I fold.

My thoughts:

Preflop and flop are standard.

The turn bet from the EP limper could mean a lot of hands and I don't think a typical player will play a better hand than Aces in this way. I thought a raise was important to protect my hand since the pot is big and the turn put two diamonds on the table.

I think SB's check/3 bet means I'm drawing close to dead here so 8-1 call down odds didn't seem enough.

All comments appreciated.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Folding TPWK in a big pot

You're likely behind on the turn so there's no need to get aggressive. I don't mind calling down.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 PM

I would have folded to the turn bet.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:40 PM

15.5:1 and you have no clue for sure that you're drawing dead. I call this, and check/fold the river UI.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:40 PM

If by 'close to dead' you mean your 4s would be good, then you have odds to call the 3-bet. If you don't improve on the river and you're so sure one pair's no good, then don't overcall when SB bets and EP calls.

If a raise is to protect your hand, then you think yours is best now, so why fold when you have the best of it? Of course SB's 3-bet changes things, but then again, the pot's so big due to your protection raise you can't fold.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:25 PM

Why did you raise the turn? You've got someone that's shown no aggression suddenly betting into the raiser from the previous hand. I'm not liking that situation at all. You raise a bettor on the flop to hopefully get 9x and 3x out on a flop that has nothing but gutshot draws. Then someone else bets into you on the turn!

You're looking at 16 - 1, not 8 - 1 to call the 3 bet on the turn. Will you not be ahead one time in 16 when the river comes? Keep in mind that even if you're outkicked, there are a lot of situations where your kicker may not come into play (provided an opponent doesn't have A and T or higher) and you at least chop. Yes, chopping sucks, but it's better than folding yourself out of half a pot. If you're already behind to two pair, there are a lot of situations where you can come back. (provided your opponent doesn't have A9 or A7)

Here are the hands you're drawing dead to:

A9, A7, 99, 33, 77, and AA. Everything else, you have outs to either chop or win. Noone raised preflop, so you're _probably_ not looking at AJ or a higher kicker with an Ace or AA.

I think you have to at least call the turn 3 bet, and better yet not raise the turn initially. But once you do raise it, you're pretty much committed to see the river. You're very likely behind at this point, so provided an Ace doesn't come on the river or the board doesn't pair you can probably safely assume you're behind, but you probably still need to call one bet on the river given the pot odds.

T
Old 04-10-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the hands you're drawing dead to:

A9, A7, 99, 33, 77, and AA. Everything else, you have outs to either chop or win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of anything else other than A3 that would bet the flop then check/3 bet the turn. That shows huge strength.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded to the turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? The pot is 8BBs and I have top pair.

The EP player betting the turn could mean a wide range of hands. Diamond draw, a worse pair, or two pair which I have outs against.

I may have been wrong to raise the turn but I can't see folding this in a big pot to a single bet.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:48 PM

If you put him on A3, how many outs do you have to win? To chop?

T
Old 04-11-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you put him on A3, how many outs do you have to win? To chop?

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Many to chop... I'm too lazy to figure it out. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the responses everybody. Sounds like I'll have to be careful not to play in such a 'fit or fold' style.

Peace.