Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Bubble AK hand

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

Button (t3970)
Hero (t1295)
BB (t4525)
UTG (t210)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero....

My thoughts:
Damn this is a good hand.
Damn, shorty is almost gone
Damn, I need to make a run for first with a hand like this.

BB will have pot odds to call, and he didn't get big by being tight.

Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Bubble AK hand

If you are pretty sure your fold equity is close to 0%, then you can treat this the same as if big stack had already pushed with any-two.

It sucks folding this hand, but I can't think of a way to play it profitably without BB being a really tight or really passive player.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:54 PM

Damn, tricky one, what did you end up doing?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:59 PM

In my experience bigstacks are as anxious to get in the money as everyone else. I don't see this as an autocall for the BB if hero pushes.

I would push and if I lose so be it. I see tiny stacks survive both two and three all-ins often enough not to completely form my bubble strategy around that happening.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Interesing... I was just getting ready to post this hand. Thought I'd just add it here to get some contrasting opinions on raising versus calling a raise with AKo here.

SB was playing good big stack poker. I'd say his range of hands is easily any 2.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

SB (t6325)
Hero (t790)
UTG (t750)
Button (t135)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t6325 (All-In)</font>, Hero...
Old 04-10-2005, 12:08 AM

This one you posted is much easier for me to call than the other one is to push... but either one isn't easy for my $ oriented mind. In your scenario, the BB is most likely pushing with anything under the sun, seeing as he knows you could even fold a premium hand like AK. (like you said yourself)
Old 04-10-2005, 12:08 AM

That one is more interesting. In this situation you know he will constantly push every hand until one is knocked out. I have never been in this exact situation. I think I might have folded here, for the simple reason that button will be put all-in twice before you have to do anything else.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:11 AM

$EV
.297 push, get called and win
.221 fold

If you are really sure he'll call with any 2, you are like 63% to win (a guess - no pokerstove here)

.63 x .297 = .187

Not really close. You need to be about 75% favorite to win, which means only big PPs.

If he did fold, though, your $EV would be .256. I'm just gonna guess here, cause again no pokerstove, but if he folds bottom 60% of hands it is a good push.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:15 AM

This seems like an easy all in imo.
your only slightly behind to a low pocket pair, and an enormous underdog to AA or KK.
if BB calls, chances are good it holds a good long term gain, afterall in short hand he may call you with any ace, any two broad way cards, ect. Play to win, play to win, play to win. For a while i tried playing the 'out blind the short stack' game, and these guys would get 4 lucky all ins in a row all the bloody time, but when i get short stacked i'm gone.

Assuming this is your typical everyday SNG, not some high dollar thing you probably shouldn't be in (because of your bankroll, not skill). In which case i'd be more conservative.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:15 AM

I would push Scubas and fold yours.

Scubas FE in no where near 0, your raise should get a ton or respect, and there is no reason to just settle for third here, I think its really close though.