Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 08:13 PM

Default KK on ragged board

Not much in the way of reads on BB. She's been fairly tight for the most part but I've only got ~20 hands with her. On the flop, I thought it was possible she had a 4 but felt a pocket pair of some sort was more likely. Do people check the turn through here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($188)
Button ($258.55)
SB ($331.25)
BB ($257.6)
UTG ($101.1)
Hero ($197.2)
MP1 ($198)
MP2 ($277.35)
MP3 ($150.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $6, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($24) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP2 folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($84) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $100</font>, Hero calls $50.

River: ($284) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB puts me all-in, I call
Old 04-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: KK on ragged board

im probably checking that turn and hoping to induce a river bluff, not sure. the river is an EASY call IMO, that 4 could have easily counterfeited villain's 3. i dont see anything too terrible, but what do i know?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 AM

I have to say that villain's line is a bit mindboggling to me. The min-raise, check, min-raise line doesn't correspond with any hand to me at all. I don't know if in the moment I would check behind on the turn, as I might interpret the flop play as trying to push me off missed overcards, but checking is probably the best line. Maybe I'm just being results oriented, because if you had stopped the hand after SB checked the turn and asked for advice, I would probably say to bet out again for the same reason as above. The river call is fine, but I am not too comfortable.

-Trail
Old 04-12-2005, 03:52 AM

Raise more preflop, to $8 or $10. You're UTG, you don't want lots of callers behind and you don't want to let the blinds in easy, which looks like what might have happened.

In any case, their line on the flop looks like a 3, 4 or mid PP trying to push you off AK. Given this, I think a check behind on the turn is easy, because you are in way ahead / way behind territory here. As it happens, the river makes it more likely in my eyes that you are ahead, but who knows. Check behind on the turn, and call a reasonable river bet.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 AM

You and THATWACOKID should really hook up.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 AM

Check turn, pretty easy river call.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 AM

Is this for real?
That must be the freakiest coincidence ever. It can't be the same hand unless thatwacokid lied about the stakes. Weird as hell. I am waiting for a conclusion to this.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Yes, it was the same hand and it was definitely 1/2 not 2/4 (I've never played Party's 2/4 games). I didn't play it well and second checkraise on the turn really made me feel he had a 4 (which is perfectly reasonable given the number of people who called my preflop raise before him). Then the case 4 on the river put enough doubt in my mind that I had to call and hope he had a 3 instead.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Quad 3s? I'm trying to picture another hand, besides Aces, that the villain would call a PFR.

I think your play looks good. If he had quads, you just have to curse your deity and move on.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop, to $8 or $10. You're UTG, you don't want lots of callers behind and you don't want to let the blinds in easy, which looks like what might have happened.

In any case, their line on the flop looks like a 3, 4 or mid PP trying to push you off AK. Given this, I think a check behind on the turn is easy, because you are in way ahead / way behind territory here. As it happens, the river makes it more likely in my eyes that you are ahead, but who knows. Check behind on the turn, and call a reasonable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Bigger preflop bet. Im checking the turn and check/calling the river. Keep the pot smaller in the rare case he has the case 4, take a decent sized pot with your boat and go on to the next one.