Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Default $5-$10 NL SB with AKo

Playing @ Fulltilt in SB 6 handed.
One call in MP to the Button who raises pot ($45). I reraise to $125 and get called in both spots (pot holds $385). Little history - MP calls with a lot of hands, and Button has raised on the button the last 5 orbits. I've lost about $500 since sitting down and haven't played a hand in at least 3 orbits.
MP ($1200)
Button ($1100)
Hero ($500)

Flop comes 10-j-x rainbow. I'm first to act...if I check I have to fold to a bet and lose the pot. If I go all in and am called, I could be called by a set, or QJ, or AJ, maybe QQ - I rule out KK and AA because no reraise from either player, though not impossible to have.

Whats your play?

I decide to go all in and try to take it down. If either has AJ they'll be hard pressed to call and I could steal. I'm in trouble with a set, and am alright with the OESD.
I get called by the button who has JJ and i river a Q to win.

After getting lambasted for going all in with AK by the button I laugh because I feel leading at the pot is my only chance to win it, and so I did hoping to steal, but got lucky.

Anybody care to critique?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: $5-$10 NL SB with AKo

I would just call PF, not raise. What is the purpose of your raise -- build the pot or win it PF?

On the flop, I would check. If I were really inclined to bet, I would bet about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot to see where I stand. Over-betting the pot here with only a draw seems overly risky, and you were fortunate.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: $5-$10 NL SB with AKo

Is your $500 stack size after the PFR or before? I think this is a very poor raise PF out of position, and not big enough to make them fold. If I was raising this preflop, (which I probably wouldnt) I would make it 200 to go and push on the flop, but I can see how you were backed into a corner on the flop given that your stack (I assume) is only 375. I hate anything else here other than a check/fold or a push. Betting 1/3 - 1/2 half the pot is weak in this spot....the pots just too big and you would be pot committed anyway...push or fold. Im thinking you did the right thing given your horrible position.