Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Default raise this weird turn bet?

these kinds of bets are always a bit jarring, never too sure what to do about them. BB cold called 3 bets PF, so.. does he really have a five? was he slowplaying a set and filled up on the turn, wanting me to raise? i know reads are important. my reads are much more accurate when i'm playing b&m, where my results are generally better.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: raise this weird turn bet?

Without a read, its definitely tough. I'd say your line is OK as a default. He may not give you credit for an Ace, and may have a weaker one himself, or a Jack, or mid pp, a five, tough to say. I think raising the turn probably folds weaker hands than yours while exposing you to a three bet from a hand that crushes you. Checking also lets him bet the river, earning you one more BB when ahead. The only way I raise this is if I'd fold to a 3 bet or him calling and leading a non-ace, non-five river. I wouldn't make that laydown without a read, so that's why i like your line.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM

i don't see raising as a good option on the turn. it costs the same to get to a showdown with no risk of being 3-bet.
also he didn't coldcall PF.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see raising as a good option on the turn. it costs the same to get to a showdown with no risk of being 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He certainly did coldcall PF. He called two raises cold from the BB.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He certainly did coldcall PF. He called two raises cold from the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was a blind, so its kind of a semi-coldcall. Not a true coldcall.

I want to show my hand down, so I'm just calling here. I don't like raising and folding to a 3-bet.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:00 PM

I would expect an average player to check/raise this turn if they had a 5. Still, I think you want to see a showdown, and want to see it cheap. I like calling down, rather than raising. It also keeps him in the hand if he is bluffing.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I have a weird feeling that he has a weak ace, and is pretty confident that if you have an ace, you might be splitting on the paired five (w/ jack kicker). He's probably hoping you have a pair worse than aces or a split pot.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Disclaimer: I'm GrunchCan's bitch and am posting in the dark.

I'd call the turn. If he doesn't have a 5, then let him keep bluffing into you on the riv. If he is donking up the 5, you lose the least.

I'd also then call the riv, since if you'll raise he'll just fold most losing hands or 3-bet a winning one.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM

He might have a 5, he might have A5, he might have 55. Your 3bet PF might have slowed him down on the flop, the 5 on the turn waking him up.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:54 PM

I would've raised the turn and folded to a 3-bet. Although I have no idea whats going on. It seems that if he'd made a full he'd go for a C/R on the turn. So he's probably trying to represent three 5's.