Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Default stars 20$ MTT situation

about 600ish entered. down to about 200.

blinds are 75/150 with an ante
you are in MP with about 22bb
utg has about 7bb and goes allin.

You have JJ, what is your move?

info:
there is 2 big stacks behind you but a little less than double your stack. You keep getting moved from table to table so you have no read on anyone the entire tourny.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: stars 20$ MTT situation

i raised him allin to try and isolate him.

a bigger stack called with AQo
original raiser had KK

overall, i was glad he called 2 allins with AQ, disappointed he caught a Q to take the side pot and knock me out.

what is the best line here not taking the results into account?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:59 PM

I would call here and fold to an all in re-raise behind you. An all in re-raise behind you will most of the time be AA, KK, or QQ and you can safely fold. Conversely, your all in re-raise is most likely only being called by those three hands and sometimes by AK or a poorly played A Q. If the all in of the first player is called by anyone behind you, then move in on any flop not containing an Ace or King.

The first all in is big enough that it should provide protection for you against anyone screwing around trying to isolate behind you.

Peace

Goodie
Old 04-08-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call here and fold to an all in re-raise behind you. An all in re-raise behind you will most of the time be AA, KK, or QQ and you can safely fold. Conversely, your all in re-raise is most likely only being called by those three hands and sometimes by AK or a poorly played A Q. If the all in of the first player is called by anyone behind you, then move in on any flop not containing an Ace or King.

The first all in is big enough that it should provide protection for you against anyone screwing around trying to isolate behind you.

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

any line that includes calling 1/3 of your stack with JJ and then folding is not a good line.

the push is right.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:21 PM

Why?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:57 PM

it's quite possible that a bigger stack will come over the top with AK. if you fold to an AK push getting juicy pot odds, that's a disaster.

folding to TT is obviously a worse disaster. it's almost never the case that you should put in 1/3 of your stack pre-flop and then not see a flop.

pretend for a second that the all-in player is not there (b/c i don't want to deal with side pots). if you raise to 1/3 of your stack and a villain pushes, you're getting 2:1 on your money to call, meaning that you only need to win 1/3 to have ok pot odds. if only AA-QQ and AK are pushing, you are 20% against QQ+ (18 hands) and 55% against AK (16 hands). you're roughly 37% against that range, and sometimes villain will show up with AQ/TT/etc. it's not exactly what we're talking about, but it should give you an idea.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are giving away your chips by being weak-tight. If you plan on folding to a reraise, you should maintain your stack and just fold PF.

The shorty could be pushing with any PP or any ace. JJ is not a hand you want multi action, so pushing and isolating is a good play.

My two cents, Steve
Old 04-12-2005, 02:17 PM

You forgot to mention that you will be calling for ALL of your chips. The people on this forum put way too much emphasis on pot odds when they just don't matter as much when your whole tournament is on the line and you still have a workable stack if you fold.

Peace

Goodie
Old 04-12-2005, 06:36 PM

Default yeah... i dont know

it does seem kind of silly to push and hope no one wakes up with a hand while you would still be in ok shape if you fold to a reraise. I'm still torn lol.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to mention that you will be calling for ALL of your chips. The people on this forum put way too much emphasis on pot odds when they just don't matter as much when your whole tournament is on the line and you still have a workable stack if you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes sense if your main objective is to finish in the money.

But if your main objective is to make the final table, or to make the most money on average, then you have to accept that pot odds are the most important factor in situations like this.