Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Protecting hands/charging for draws/pumping the pot

Here are a couple scenarios that I am unsure of how to play correctly. (UB 1/2)

(1) I have Kc 9c in the SB. Three limp to me and I call, as does the BB. Flop is Ad Qc 4c. I have second-nut flush draw. I bet out, BB folds, EP raises, LP calls, cut-off folds, I re-raise, EP caps, LP calls, and I call. Turn is 6s. My move? I lead out if I hit my flush on the turn, and if not I would check-call. Is this weak? Should I be still trying to pump the pot? Check-raise instead?

(2) I open raise in MP with AJ offsuit. Button calls, SB folds, BB calls. Three to the flop - Ac 10d 9d. BB bets out, I raise, button re-raises, BB calls...what do I do here? Assuming I put them on a flush and straight draw respectively, do I charge them an extra bet or just call. The turn is the Qh. BB checks to me, I bet, button raises, BB calls. My move?

What I'm looking for is some advice on when to pump the pot, and when to charge players extra for drawing? Thanks very much!

Nelson
Old 10-25-2002, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Protecting hands/charging for draws/pumping the pot

These are good questions. The answer, of course, is "it depends."

The rational for the plays are quite reasonable. In the first problem, your difficulty is your position. To determine the best course of action, you have to consider what your opponents have, what they think you have, and what you think they think you have. Here it appears that at least one or two have an Ace. You are up against two opponents. So betting out is likely to get raised which means you will be paying more to see the river than you will like, reducing your odds, and maybe even knocking out an opponent who would have otherwise paid you off. Of course, if you think they have less than a Ace, represent the Ace and try to steal the pot on the river.

Problem two is more complicated. If you put them on a straight and flush draw, you definately make the pay. On the turn, I would just call. The queen could have made your opponent's straight. You need king to win. <font color="red"> Don't change your read just because it's now unfavorable to you. </font color> If you call, you probably should call the river for the size of the pot, so long as you don't face a raise.

Best of luck to you.