Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Top Pair Medium Kicker

I don't feel comfortable with this hand. Feel like I overstayed, but there wasn't much aggression. Table is generally classic PP loose/passive. Some of the players have fishy tendencies, others no read.

Thoughts?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Here I assume I am up against a paired ace, but I figure me for 6 outs, so I call.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 04-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Top Pair Medium Kicker

I wouldn't fold the turn - UTG+1 could have just picked up a flush draw - but I like the fold on the river. Too many people yet to call behind you, and you get beat too many ways.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 PM

your outs plus implied pot odds, i think the turn can be called. fold river. played right.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:03 PM

I fold this preflop, but of course, there's going to be plenty of people who will argue that you should limp, so this point is moot.

Anyways, I would have called on the river for one bet, but the 3bet would definitely make me fold. Pot is reasonably sized i think to call for one bet, ala Ed Miller.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:04 PM

PF-meh.
Flop-yup
Turn- YOu have 5 outs, if the bettor has an ace, which he most likely does because he's probally passivle. Your odds of making 2 pair on the river are about 8:1, you aren't getting 8:1, you're getting 7:1, now and 8:1 if BB comes along, so the call is okay, purely by pot odds.
River-Good fold
Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Not sure how you figure 6 outs on the turn. 2 Q's (1 tainted), 3 9's (1 tainted). So 5 at best, discounted to ~4. If you are behind you don't have odds to call. The bet when the A hits the board doesn't necessarily mean he has an A, but anything else he's betting probably isn't good for you either. Factor in that he already has one caller that you aren't closing the action. I don't think that the pot size is worth fighting for here. I'd get away from it right there on the turn.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Do I need to discount the flush cards fully on a rainbow flop? Perhaps six outs is a little aggressive, but it would seem that the flush likelihood is lower with the runner-runner. Hmm.

As to PF - I used to fold this hand, but have recently added it as a LP limp at passive tables. Not sure if I like it or not, partially because of hands like this. We'll check PT in a few weeks... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM

What do people think of raising this preflop?

Reasons:

- More likely to get the button.
- Free card on unfavourable flops.

Our equity also probably isn't so bad against typical crap loose players call with.

Maybe I'm LAG but I'm pretty sure folding here is bad.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to discount the flush cards fully on a rainbow flop? Perhaps six outs is a little aggressive, but it would seem that the flush likelihood is lower with the runner-runner. Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
It should be discounted a bit, but probably not completely ignored. That said, you start with 5 complete outs. You've already paired one of your hole cards.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 PM

raise the turn. The pot is reasonably large at this point. If it was smaller, this would be a good fold.

UTG+1 may be raising the scare card or a flush draw (they have [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s). There is a chance you will take the pot right away. You may fold flush draws or a stronger hand behind you.

Defend your weaker hands.