Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Default HPFAP vs. SSH

Is HPFAP applicable to small/micro stakes using the loose games guidelines. Also, how similar is that section to SSH?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: HPFAP vs. SSH

In general SSH is more applicable than HPFAP to $10/$20 live games, particularly it's tight game guidelines. HPFAP is probably worth reading though. At least memorize it's hand rankings.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 PM

I have a copy of HPFAP, and am quite poor, so can I still use it's contents for the micro/low limits, or should i just wait until I can afford one more poker book.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a copy of HPFAP, and am quite poor, so can I still use it's contents for the micro/low limits, or should i just wait until I can afford one more poker book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Grind it out at the micro limits until you can afford SSH. By simply playing tight and using the slightest bit of common sense, you should be able to beat those games. Just remember to play straight forward as the players you encounter won't be thinking enough for you to use advanced plays and deception.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:35 AM

Not sure how much experience you have, but.... HEPFAP may actually be damaging if it's your first book. At lot of stuff like semi-bluffing, or raising JTs to tie people to the pot, etc, are plays that will just cost you money at micro-limits.

I think you might want to try and get something else simpler either WLLH/SSH or ITH. I'm sure that there are decent strategy guides on the internet that will enable you to win the $30 to order another book.