Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Playing like a LAG, but let\'s talk about postflop.

This is from the 2+2 table last night. I've got an uberLAG image (VPIP 35%, PFR 20%, have LRR'd with 55 and 43s and attempted to with 99, etc.). I'm just [censored] around.

Preflop is stupid. I concede that much but I haven't been folding when I'm on the Button and I don't want to play this hand 4-ways. Villain might be a 2+2er, is tricky and aggressive preflop, but is passive postflop. He isn't playing like a LAG, despite his preflop stats (25%VPIP, 14%PFR).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Playing like a LAG, but let\'s talk about postflop.

Are you planning on folding to a river 3-bet?

I think I might have raised the turn, then bet the river if a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fell, or checked it through UI, assuming UTG doesn't play back at me.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning on folding to a river 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's a pretty easy fold to a 3-bet. The great thing is that with me holding the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the only hand he could possibly 3-bet against me here is a set of Tens.

I was mostly aiming to get value through the whole hand from missed overcards; I don't think there's much of a bluff aspect to the raise.

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM

thats a dream flop, and a dream turn card, and a pretty good river too.

my thoughts (postflop only, though i'd 3-bet AT on the button at a 2+2 table too):

flop: i like it. the flop check will pretty much ensure he leads into you on the turn, and you can proceed with caution if an overcard falls on the turn, or attack if a blank falls.

turn: so far so good, but i'd raise. i'd really hate for an overcard to fall on the river and screw things up...

what happens to your line if an overcard falls on the river?
is he passive enough to check if it didn't improve him?
i think that makes a big difference in the play because it gives you a huge edge if a scary card falls.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM

I think I would bet the flop, especially against a passive opponent. (Although the pre-flop cap and subsequent flop check are kinda weird and would set off alarm bells, I think your hand is too fragile to let the flop get checked through.)

This kind of action usually signifies completely whiffed overcards, or a huge hand like TT, which is why I'm not a big fan of the river raise (unless you think he'll pay off with the former, and you can fold if he 3-bets with the latter.)
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Good point about the value aspect. I guess the only reasonable hand that's beating you is KQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and TT based on his PF raising standards, and the first is pretty doubtful given the flop cap.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your hand is too fragile to let the flop get checked through

[/ QUOTE ]

Against his range of capping hands, I'm either drawing dead or he's got 3 outs. I'm not sure checking is terrible here.

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 AM

BTW, I think he folds JJ to my river raise about 20% of the time, but I think he rarely checks JJ on this flop, FWIW.

Turn play is debatable. I really wanted to induce a river bet, and I thought he'd pay off a river raise w/AKo.

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM

When he didn't bet the flop, I would start suspecting he capped pre-flop with AK (though he "could" have been looking for a check raise with a high pair - in which case you are screwed).

If he had AK, holding off on your betting on the flop enticed him to bet the turn and the river - giving you a chance to get him for at least 2 BBs. A bet or raise earlier may have driven him off the hand.

By playing passively though, you did leave yourself open to a K falling on the turn or river. You also still have to worry about the small possibility he had a big pair and checked on the flop because he wanted to CR. If the latter is true, you passively played yourself into greater losses.

I would have to sit down and crunch the numbers better to see if I like this or not, but I think it's interesting enough to think about.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM

That's probably true, although it wouldn't surprise me to see any suited broadways, (especially if you've been horsing around.) If he's playing semi-seriously, which it looks like he is, or at least trying to, you're right.