Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Revolver vs semi-automatic

Why do they still make revolvers? Do they have any pros compared to a semi? Ive been considering buying a gun for a while, any recommendations? It would mostly be for protection at home, in case of a break in.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Revolver vs semi-automatic

[ QUOTE ]
Why do they still make revolvers? Do they have any pros compared to a semi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words: Russian Roulette
Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 AM

both are inferior to my LMG
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Its because revolvers are cheaper, simplier to operate, require less training to use, and are more reliable. Semi-autos can carry more ammo, and its a lot easier to reload, but you need more training to use it safely. Also they arent as reliable as revolvers.

I had this question before and this was explained to me vaguely by a friend that owns a few firearms and practices semi-regularly at a nearby gun range.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its because revolvers are cheaper, simplier to operate, require less training to use, and are more reliable. Semi-autos can carry more ammo, and its a lot easier to reload, but you need more training to use it safely. Also they arent as reliable as revolvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you say is accurate, why are all military issue pistols semi-auto?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM

A lot of it's just preference. Some people just prefer the feel/look of a revolver. Also, if the hammer comes down on a dud, you can just pull the trigger again and it'll fire the next round. This isn't the case with the semi. And it's easier to clean/repair. A semi will give you more rounds. For home protection, I really like the .45. It's a big load and will take down anything it hits, but the muzzle velocity is such that it gewnerally won't end up going through walls and ending up in the neighbor's bedroom.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Who knows? I guess its because an auto-loader can carry more ammo, reloading is faster, and has a higher rate of fire. These arent exactly priorities as a home defense weapon.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of it's just preference. Some people just prefer the feel/look of a revolver. Also, if the hammer comes down on a dud, you can just pull the trigger again and it'll fire the next round. This isn't the case with the semi. And it's easier to clean/repair. A semi will give you more rounds. For home protection, I really like the .45. It's a big load and will take down anything it hits, but the muzzle velocity is such that it gewnerally won't end up going through walls and ending up in the neighbor's bedroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of it is also the military's budget. Lowest bid means the easier to assemble weapons get created.

I'm pretty good with a 9.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I had this question before and this was explained to me vaguely by a friend that owns a few firearms and practices semi-regularly at a nearby gun range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points made by Luzion. To add to the point about reliability, this is probably the number one selling point for revolvers and a reason why they are popular with people for self-defense. For example, if you press the barrel of a semi-auto into something (like a bear trying to eat you or a crack addict trying to murder you) the gun may not cycle properly and you end up eaten/murdered. This is never a problem with a revolver. This may not sound like a big deal but considering most self-defense type shootings happen at arms length distance it actually makes a difference.

Regarding the military switching to semi-autos the reasons for this were higher magazine capacity and faster reloading.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Convinced you need a gun for home defense = buy a shotgun.