Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 AM

Default AT off - Am i playing it okay?

Having some trouble figuring out what to do with AT off. I'll raise AJo and ATs from any position as long as it's not raised before me. With AT off i'll muck it in early position, open raise in MP but fold it in MP if there are some callers in the early position spots and i'll raise with it in late position regardless of the # of callers as long as noone else has raised. And i'll fold AT off to any raise ecept a possible blind steal in which case i'll 3bet or call depending on my read of the opponent and the stats i have on PT. Does this seem like a solid strategy?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: AT off - Am i playing it okay?

I fold it in EP. I pretty much started raising it almost all the time in MP and LP, but I'll fold it against tight ass limpers. Anyway, against a few weak limpers, raise it. They suck, make them pay another bet to see a flop with 96o and buy yourself better position.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 AM

I actually find ATo and AJo deceptively crappy hands.

But regardless, I tend to limp these two EP, raise if I'm the first one in the pot MP (limp otherwise). I'll raise with these hands in late position every time (unless there's a raise already).

EDIT: The reason why I hate this hand so much is because the flop is often K94r or Q72r, so I'm pretty much drawing to my A only (because one of the limpers decides to bet, so I know they have a piece, usually its top pair). Also, it's fairly easy to draw out on if the flop comes J74r and you hit TP/TK -- people will call down with Q or K high often enough.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:50 AM

I agree with what you've said - the only thing is i hate it when there are a couple early position limpers and i raise with it in MP1 or MP2 and get a couple coldcallers behind me and the limpers plus one or two blinds - i haven't won too many of these types of pots with ATo against 5 people. My ATo's are showing a profit but that's because i'm only playing them in situations where i know that i have a reasonable chance of stealing, getting the pot shorthanded, or getting good position for postflop play.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually find ATo and AJo deceptively crappy hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that about ATo but i'm won a fair share by playing AJo agressively. Perhaps it's because people are willing to come along with hands like KJ/QJ and pay you off till the river. But playing ATo just as aggressively has not shown the same profit.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why I hate this hand so much is because the flop is often K94r or Q72r, so I'm pretty much drawing to my A only (because one of the limpers decides to bet, so I know they have a piece, usually its top pair). Also, it's fairly easy to draw out on if the flop comes J74r and you hit TP/TK -- people will call down with Q or K high often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
lollerskates, dood.

I hate 99 because the flop can come AKT, I hate AK because the flop always comes suited JT9.

Anyway, if you feel like you're getting coldcalled by dominating hands at the table you're at. . .

1. Fold.
2. Move tables!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 AM

I still show a positive win rate from these hands, but it's more of the lack of comfort when I play these hands that makes me hate them.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 AM

my experience, limited as it is, is ATo is a difficult hand to play. it is heavily dependent on position and table condition.

1. how many limpers?
2. who limped?
3. what are they limping with?
4. can you get it HU or can you buy the button?
5. how passive are they and how long with they just call with lesser/better hands?

all these are questions that you have to have some sort of answer to in order to play this hand "comfortably".

Generally:
1. Fold EP and any raise- even a loose player.
2. Limp MP even if a number of limpers have entered because you have better odds. Open Raise or Raise if you think you can buy button.
3. Play LP the same as MP.
4. Limp from the blinds.

your strategy sounds good for preflop. 3-betting to a blind steal depends on blind sizes, who/how many limpers, and passivity of table. Read April's Poker Magazine Mini-blind Hold 'em(2+2 home page) for a good explanation of this.

post some hands of postflop because that's where it gets difficult (obviously)
Old 04-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Seems like you are following SSH to a tee, which is good. Just remember the starting hand recomendations are situational. Against some opponents follow the book, against others I squeak in a few more hands. Depends on the table.

Ben
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 AM

I fold ATo in EP, raise it in MP and LP almost always. I generally don't like limping with any Axo hand. If I can't find a raise I'll just fold it up.