Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM

Default How do lose your whole stack at the final table with AA...

Game #780862161 - Tournament Starfish R&A - 1,000/2,000 No Limit Texas Hold'em - 2005/04/06-06:33:39.8 (CST)
Table "Starfish 2" (MTT) -- Seat 9 is the button
Seat 4: NikkiV (51,539 in chips)
Seat 5: janosf (57,590 in chips)
Seat 6: Maddogsass (12,930 in chips)
Seat 9: DaveBray (68,214 in chips)
Seat 10: PukaPlaya (52,227 in chips)
janosf : Ante (100)
Maddogsass: Ante (100)
DaveBray: Ante (100)
PukaPlaya: Ante (100)
NikkiV : Ante (100)
PukaPlaya: Post Small Blind (1,000)
NikkiV : Post Big Blind (2,000)
Dealt to PukaPlaya [ Ad ]
Dealt to PukaPlaya [ Ah ]
janosf : Call (2,000)
Maddogsass: Fold
DaveBray: Fold
PukaPlaya: Raise (5,000)
NikkiV : Fold
janosf : Call (4,000)
*** FLOP *** : [ 9c 2c Th ]
PukaPlaya: Bet (5,000)
janosf : Call (5,000)
*** TURN *** : [ 9c 2c Th ] [ Kc ]
PukaPlaya: Check
janosf : Bet (4,000)
PukaPlaya: Raise (11,000)
janosf : Raise (42,490)
DaveBray said, "wow"
PukaPlaya: Call All-in (30,127)
*** RIVER *** : [ 9c 2c Th Kc ] [ 9h ]
DaveBray said, "nh"
PukaPlaya said, "yeesh"
PukaPlaya said, "I plead insanity"
PukaPlaya said, "2nd time I have done something like that with AA in the last month"
PukaPlaya said, "I think i remember to slow down with AA after this one though"
PukaPlaya said, "good luck guys and see you next time"

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 106,754 | Board: [ 9c 2c Th Kc 9h ]
NikkiV lost 2,100 (folded)
janosf bet 57,590, collected 112,117, net +54,527 (showed hand) [ Jd Qc ] (a straight, nine to king)
Maddogsass lost 100 (folded)
DaveBray lost 100 (folded)
PukaPlaya lost 52,227 (showed hand) [ Ad Ah ] (two pair, aces and nines)

Oh well 5th place. I was playing so damn well up to that point. This was my first AA all tourney and I guess I got excited? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

In my defense it was almost 3am but still. I also should have raised a bit more preflop and ALOT more after the flop to see where I was, but I wanted action. Looks like I got it.

I almost had to laugh after this happened. I cockpunched myself first though of course.

This one is going to sting for awhile. It was a small tourney (30 dollar buy-in with 40 people, usually has 120 or so but Paradise capped the tourney at 40 for some reason, site was freezing up all day though) so I didn't miss out on a huge amount of money but it still hurts... I consistently make the final in this tourney so I knew a couple of the guys at the table which made it even worse. One for the books and the reason I am posting is so I can look back at this post and remember it every now and then for good measure. Oh and then cockpunch myself.

Next time maybe I think about Villains hand in relation to the board.

Hope someone gets a laugh out of this.

Anyone else make a huge mistake like this with AA while still learning???
Old 04-06-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: How do lose your whole stack at the final table with AA...

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else make a huge mistake like this with AA while still learning???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, we all make mistakes with AA.

I would have made it 8000 preflop and ~16K on the flop. If he calls that far, I'm still going broke on the turn because I call instantly against a non-flush king and I call slowly and with much irritation when the flush-king comes.

Later,
Che
Old 04-06-2005, 04:10 PM

I think your preflop raise is fine.

Postflop betting less than 1/3rd the pot with a club flush and a coordinated board is your big mistake. When the Kc hits, meaning the flush and the straight possibilities all arrived in one card, and he reraises you allin, its an easy fold, even if you have AA.

Nick
Old 04-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Don't be so afraid to not get action. I agree with Che to put in larger pf and flop raises.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:15 PM

Chief-

[ QUOTE ]
When the Kc hits, meaning the flush and the straight possibilities all arrived in one card, and he reraises you allin, its an easy fold, even if you have AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only an easy fold because the flop bet priced in all the draws. If the flop bet had been bigger, we would place more weight on hands that were made hands on the flop (and correspondingly less weight on draws) and call.

Agreed?

Later,
Che
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chief-

[ QUOTE ]
When the Kc hits, meaning the flush and the straight possibilities all arrived in one card, and he reraises you allin, its an easy fold, even if you have AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only an easy fold because the flop bet priced in all the draws. If the flop bet had been bigger, we would place more weight on hands that were made hands on the flop (and correspondingly less weight on draws) and call.

Agreed?

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

well, duh.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed?

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I laid in bed for an hour going over this hand, and one other I think I played wrong, but didn't suffer for miraculously. I was getting cute with my flop bet hoping the flop had missed him [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and making it look like a weak continuation bet and that was a huge mistake as it easily priced in his draw.

I do like raising preflop to 8k and that is about the number I came up with after the fact. Betting 14k or 16k on the flop would have been much better as well with the scary board. I still lose at least half my stack by the turn no matter what I do.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:57 PM

What are you trying to do? Trump me for the day's

"I made the worst decision at the final table" Post?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:55 PM

I just noticed the post subject says "How do lose your whole stack at the final table with AA..."

It should have said "to".

It was a late night for me last night.

Doh!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 PM

I did this once. Chip leader with 2 tables left in one of the supers. AA, 3XBB raise. Calls from both blinds. Two to a flush on the board and a king high. I play it strong, 3/4 pot bet. A flush card jack on the turn and he beats me into the pot. I'm certain I'm screwed, but I don't think he has the flush. I call, stupidly, just so I can see his 3 jacks.

The reverse happened to me last night. Chip leader in a one-seat sat with 15 to go, I take on #2. Brilliant bluff play with an underpair. I absorb his bets, knowing (believeing) that he has an over pair. The board is filling up with str8 cards. I happen to have ten outs to the river, but that doesn't matter really, I know he can't call my bluff. River card misses me, he bets, I go all-in. He KNOWS that he is beat, but, of course, he has to find out HOW his aces were cracked even though it will lose him the tourney. Of course, he is actually good this time.

Aces mentality slays me. I suffer from it too. It is kinda like Big slick mentality in Limit. You just refuse to believe you can lose with it. <shrug> of course, how many times have we all been given a stack by someone with AA?

CSC