Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Increasing VPIP

After 7.5k at 1/2 I am sitting at 16.82 VPIP (7% PFR). Many people on the board claim this is too tight. I am mostly using the "tight" game sugesstions from SSHE with a coule modifications (limp with AXs in EP, limp with KXs in LT).

I look at the "tight" suggestions, and that really does not open yourself up to playing many more hands without dramatically increasing the number of cold calls you make. I am needing to be more agressive and not more passive with my play, so I do not think this is the answer.

I could see raising AJo in EP and reraising AQo (which i do not do currently) as being +EV.

How do you get to 20/12? What are you playing and what are you raising with compared to the suggestions of SSHE?

thanks for any insight.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Increasing VPIP

Slavish following of a chart isn't going to increase your VPIP.

Play your opponents, not a chart. If there are two limpers ahead of you with >50% VPIP, you should be raising a LOT of hands.

Be conscious of stealing opportunities - if you ahve A5o on the button and the blinds are reasonably tight, don't click the "fold" button right away. If it's folded to you, raise.

Also, note that you should be folding some hands SSH says to limp. If you have QTo in LP, SSH suggests limping. However, if there is only one tight limper ahead of you, you should almost certainly fold. Raising is probably better than calling.

That sort of thing. Read a lot of threads here. This forum advocates a very loose and aggressive game.

EDIT: 17% isn't horribly tight at 1/2. However, you should almost certainly be raising more preflop.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Read HEPFAP. There's much more discussion of situational pre-flop decisions than SSH contains. I'm really coming into the mind that SSH wasn't created with internet play in mind, but Small Stakes brick&mortar play.

The point of the matter is you adjust your hands based upon table, who has entered the pot, how many people, etc.

I think it was ShillX that suggested that online he uses the tight table suggestions from early position, and the loose game from later position.

But it really is just adjusting to game conditions. If you've got looser people limping in front of you, you can open your standards a bit. If tighter people are coming in/raising, tighten up quite a bit.

And as always, the more people that limp in the pot in front of you (or cold-call a raise) the more hands you can play.

But it's hard to put these kind of standards into the chart.

KO
Old 04-06-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sort of thing. Read a lot of threads here. This forum advocates a very loose and aggressive game.

EDIT: 17% isn't horribly tight at 1/2. However, you should almost certainly be raising more preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?!? This forum advocates loose/aggressive? Dude... you sure you're reading the same forum?

This forum advocates tight-aggressive.

KO
Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?!? This forum advocates loose/aggressive? Dude... you sure you're reading the same forum?

This forum advocates tight-aggressive.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more clear. I think this forum advocates a looser and more aggressive game than SSH.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:01 PM

Play tight in EP. That really is the only place where I have "guidelines".

Raise: AA-99, ATs+, AJo+, KJs+, KQo
Play: 22+, A9s, KTs, QJs, JTs, QTs (hands like this)

Play more LAG in LP and feel free to open up your game against a lot of limpers or a couple of bad limpers. PLAY POTS WITH BAD PLAYERS...that is the key. If 4 bad players limp in, your hand becomes more valuable EV wise. So you should fold KTo after two tricky players limp in. You should want to raise this hand after two bad limpers. You should want to play K4s after 4 bad limpers, etc...

Brad
Old 04-06-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... PLAY POTS WITH BAD PLAYERS...that is the key. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

To add to brad's post, a couple of enlightening threads.

Take off the training wheels, by Ed Miller

You play too tight, by Nate the great
Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I know this was just a guidline but my PT stats over 25K hands say that 22, 33 and A9s are losers from EP. I have since dropped them from my EP play. Am I wrong?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I know this was just a guidline but my PT stats over 25K hands say that 22, 33 and A9s are losers from EP. I have since dropped them from my EP play. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have some sample size issues there, I think.

On the other hand, if you're playing at a table that is either too tight or too aggressive to limp 22 and 33 UTG, then maybe your only problem is your table selection.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limp with AXs in EP

[/ QUOTE ]

very few games that i am doing this in at 2/4 party, is this a mistake? i fear the isolation raise, but maybe im weak-tight

-Ryan