Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Don\'t tap the glass

I hear people say not to tap the glass because it scares the fish away. Or because you don't want them to learn.

But I never hear anyone say not to tap the glass because it gives away too much information.

I just played a heads-up SNG. I semi-bluff a reasonable draw, he calls and it doesn't hit. I follow up with a bluff, which he calls with A-high. This is a bit of a dent to my stack, but some great news for me. Then he taps the glass with "i read you like a book".

Next hand, I pick up 97s out of position. He limps, I check. Flop comes 972 rainbow.

Now a bit about the opponent. If I check I am 90% certain he will bet the pot. He's done it many times already and hasn't failed to make this play yet. Also, earlier in this situation, same sized pot, I check to induce a bluff, he bets the pot, I make a hefty raise, he goes all-in and gets me off my hand. I'm pretty sure he had me beat then, but that's not important now, because now I know he thinks he reads me like a book. Now I know that if I make the exact same move, he may make the exact same move regardless of what he's holding even if he HAD to be holding a big hand the first time.

So I check. He bets the pot. I make the exact same hefty raise as previously. He goes all-in. I call, he shows K8.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Don\'t tap the glass

Nice read/ nice play.

But tap the glass referrs to scaring the fish away from the table (not possible in a sit n' go).

Usually a better Non pro player berates a poor player for calling a raise in the BB with his 72 when the flop is K 9 4 Turn 2 River 7
Always bet by better player with AK then raised on the river by Fish..

Then follows the rants your F in redard , yadda yadda Yadda,
don't you know how to play?!? blasting away Banging on the glass as hard as he can untill the fish becomes scared.. and leaves the table. This is one of my pet peeves because it requires me to put myself beweeen the tapper and the fish to keep fish at the table. It also somtimes puts the tapper on tilt when I tell him why you play that AK junk?? AK is strong, you just played it like a tard! hahah Then the tapper will usually go off on me and/or get tilted.