Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:57 AM

Default What to do when you stop getting paid off

Before i start, i'd just like to say I'm a small stakes nl player.. However, since most of you probably have beaten ssnl before, as i have, i need to talk to you...

Heres the problem, i've always beaten ssnl but recently, im running into trouble... It seems my strategy just isn't getting paid off anymore, and the times I am getting paid off, im getting outdrawn...

I only play 2 pair or better postflop, and i play with relative idiots (people who will call with next to nothing)... THe problem is, these so called "idiots" aren't calling me down as much (and when the times they do call.. for example; I have AA, they call with 88 all i preflop) I lose the hand... OR, i have a set, they call all in with a flush on the turn, and hit it... Baffles the hell outta me how i am losing more money, than winning in these situations over the past 2 months...

SO, what should I do? THey fold when I bet, but when they call, and they are severely dominated (headsup) , they river me?

I basically, only play 2 pair or better postflop strongly... I bet, STRONGLY, always at least betting the pot when i know im ahead... Just getting rivered routinely on hands that should be winning...

And no, im not overvaluing TPTK, if anything, im undervaluing it.. But my goal in ssnl, is to double up, not win a small pot (that tptk usually wins)...
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: What to do when you stop getting paid off

Raise more, bet more. Don't get too out of control, though. The swings can be hell but in the long term you win.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 PM

I would loosen up a little bit. It is not optimal to only play two pair or better postflop. It can be a decent strategy considering as you said many will call you down with little or nothing.

As for getting drawn out on thats a part of poker and it sounds like your just getting a little unlucky lately. If you keep getting all the money in there with the best hand you will come out ahead in the long run.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:57 PM

It is not clear from your post if you are always playing with the same people. If so, they have figured you out and you have to mix up your style. Make one of your strong bets with a good draw, for instance. Then do it with nothing on an uncordinated board. See what happens.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 PM

Judging from your post, it seems like you simply play too predictibly, do you ever semi-bluff, limp reraise, slow play etc? Do you only raise group one hands? Try to vary your play and be more agressive with a range of hands broader then two pair so that it includes strong draws and other hands that you are probably losing value on.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:50 PM

On the topic of being aggressive with strong draws.... Do you mean, the nut straight or the nut flush draw.. Or do you mean, a straight & flush draw combined? If you mean the latter, that is really hard to get..
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 PM

I consider OESD and flush draws in late position, as well as pair + Straight or flush draw hands to be strong drawing hands.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:39 PM

over cards are also very helpful!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 PM

OESD? What does that mean?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OESD? What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Open ended straight draw