Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 PM

Default 6 maxers....HELP!

I had been playing full ring games, got myself up a few hundred at .50 NL, then moved up to $1 NL, full ring. Gave it all back, mostly on bad beats (I think) and quite a few crying calls. I'm going to post a few hands that happened today just to see where I went wrong and get any input at all, good, bad or indifferent. If you're think I'm an idiot feel free to say so....

Absolute $1 6 max (sorry converter doesn't support Absolute)

Villian is SB stack...$45 (he's a slap but the whole table has been fairly loose, seen him come over the top when he thinks his opponent has squat)
Hero is UTG with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Stack $102

Hero bets $4, fold to villain who calls

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(I'm real happy with that)
Pot is $9

Villian checks, Hero bets $6, Villian calls...hmmm

Turn...3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot is $21
Hmm...would he have called with a pair of 3s? Doubt it.
Villain checks, Hero bets $9 (probably a bit small), Villian raises all in to $35, Hero calls.

River....Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

How was my line? Turn bet too weak? Fold the all in? Feel free to pick me apart, I have this name for a reason! And I'm pretty new to the 6 max.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: 6 maxers....HELP!

how big are the stacks?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:32 PM

I think he have TT or QQ. Or maybe ATs of clubs if he plays loose. If he bet the pot, fold. Most hands that he can possibly have after your preflop raise will beat your hand after the turn. There is a small chance that he is trying to run you over because you have shown weakness, but I doubt that.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:33 PM

Assuming you both started with about 100BB stacks, I would raise more on the flop, and yes your turn bet is too weak. This is probably a good thing if you think SB will come over the top assuming you have missed your AK, but if you're trying to get him off a draw or make him fold, 1/3 pot size bets are not gonna do it.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 PM

Check the turn against aggressive players and call a reasonable bet on just about any river card. Bet the river if they check to you and it was a brick.

Against passive players, bet 2/3 pot on the turn and fold to a raise; check behind on the river unless you hit a set (although in this case a jack gives 98 a straight so it's a little scary).
Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 PM

Adjusted to show stacks, sorry for the mixup...his turn bet was actually all in and I had him covered.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been playing full ring games, got myself up a few hundred at .50 NL, then moved up to $1 NL

[/ QUOTE ]

ignoring any strategic advice about the hands, you do realize that "a few hundred" is not a sufficient bankroll for the $1NL games right?

I've been playing the .50 games on absolute and they let you buy in for $100... so the $1 games then theoritically would let you buy in for $200 (if i'm wrong correct me please).
With just "a few hundred" in your 'roll, you do not have very many buy-ins.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:26 AM

My roll is about $1300 and I usually only buy in for $100, which might be a mistake. I play the $1 tables more to hit the raked hands req for clearing the bonus than anything else. I realize that if I lost a few hundred I would have to quickly head back to the .50 tables. I didn't include bonus whoring as winnings since technically it's not.