Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Default party 22 lvl 4 AK SB

i'm having troubles w/ AK from up front... can anyone help?.. i'm wondering if i shoulda just called instead of raising since the guy who limped had 2k+... any comments?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

CO (t3020)
Button (t630)
Hero (t1570)
BB (t1175)
UTG (t810)
MP (t795)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t200.

Flop: (t700) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t500</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1200
Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: party 22 lvl 4 AK SB

I agree that you are in a difficult position, but I don't think you can limp here - you have to make him pay to see a flop. Yes, he's got a big stack, but it's not so big compared to yours that he doesn't mind doubling you up.

In this situation I think you have a numboer of choices other than the one you chose:

-Push pre-flop. He'll fold 90% of the time, and there is t250 in the pot, which well over 10% of your stack. It will also send an important message: No Limping on my Blinds! If he calls you with AJ because it looks like a steal, Merry Christmas.

-You have to bet this flop. Since it missed him, 1/2 the pot ought to do the trick. If he raises, you can consider folding. But if you just check, he is going to bet every time. If you're in the mood for a gambool, check-raise him all in.

-I think you need to increase your raise here. If you only go to t300, he's getting great odds to call with marginal holdings (t200 into a pot worth 450). My rule of thumb is 3BB + 1BB per limper. In this case, since you're going to play the rest of the hand out of position, increase that. (Of course if you go t500, you're getting pretty close to pushing. See point one.)

Tough hand.

My two cents,

Sam
Old 04-05-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree with Sammy boy, though I advocate just pushing above all.

You have to raise preflop, to at least 300 ish. If called, you'll see a flop, out of position, with 1200 (or fewer) chips and a 700 (or more) chip pot. There is very little room to play this short of all in. You miss 2/3 of the flops, and unless you plan on pushing any flop (you could make an argument for this), you should just push preflop where you're almost certainly ahead. This gives him ZERO implied odds and ZERO room to exercise his position, and guarantees you 250 more chips or a damn fine chance to double through.

But that's just me.

-Kings
Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM

hrmm... ok i agree.. if anything i shoulda raised &gt; 400... and not sure why i didn't... brain fart mebbe...but that almost warrants an all in... i think in the future i'll just push here... if he calls w/ KK/AA then so be it...

thanks fellas
Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Normally I would bet a flop with AK and rags if I got somebody heads up. But the flop scares me because all the cards are less than 5. You might not be able to get him off the hand if he has a pair of 5s or higher. If you bet this flop, you are basically pot-committed. I think I would reluctantly let this one go.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 PM

I think you need to bet this flop. I have been in this spot before sevearal times and guys with chips will make moves. I don't know how he's been playing, but I would still assume you most likely have the best hand. Your check screams of missed overcards. Why shouldn't he bet?