Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Stars 2/4 - Flopping Quads after raising pf

I have a very LAG image (and rightfully so, since I've opened probably 3 or 4 pots each orbit for the past 10 or so minutes). I've yet to see the other dude play a big pot, but I assume he's atleast halfway decent. I make the standard continuation bet on the flop, but what then? The turn is probably a bad card for me extracting more from a PP / ten.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($667.45)
CO ($764.60)
Button ($98.45)
SB ($364.80)
BB ($400)
UTG ($675.70)
UTG+1 ($115.10)
MP1 ($96.75)
Hero ($1061.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP3 calls $12, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls $24.

Turn: ($88) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero does what?</font>
Old 04-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Stars 2/4 - Flopping Quads after raising pf

Check behind and hope he takes a stab at it on the river. If he doesn't, bet however much you think he can call (probably 1/2 pot or so). When you flop something as strong as quads, its hard for anybody else to make anything to pay you off with. Sometimes, there's just no way to win a big pot with a hand like this.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:43 PM

I would probably play it the same way, although I can see an argument for putting out another small bet (say half pot) which the villian may check/raise if he has an ace.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check behind and hope he takes a stab at it on the river. If he doesn't, bet however much you think he can call (probably 1/2 pot or so). When you flop something as strong as quads, its hard for anybody else to make anything to pay you off with. Sometimes, there's just no way to win a big pot with a hand like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You flopped quads and now your big hope for getting paid is to induce a bluff, or a river 1/2 pot bet. Just keep betting and hope he has something. If he's slowplaying a big hand (and TT is really the only big hand here) then all the money is probably getting in so it's irrelevant. Bet 2/3 pot and hope the Ace helped him.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16 PM

Firstly, let me preface by saying I have never played this high. I have played NL 100 to NL200, but never this high.

If I were you, I would think that my laggish image would make checking seem out of the ordinary. Doesn't it seem like checking would make your opponent suspicious, as it would be your standard lag play to be betting here?

Happy for feedback?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 PM

I'd have to agree with the last post. Checking will probably raise some suspicion since you bet and bet big on the last two. Maybe he thinks you have KK and were worried by the ace but just about anything else and its an obvious trap. Try to make the opposite play by betting as if you were betting as if you had the ace. By that I mean something slightly larger (or maybe smaller as if you were value betting the ace) than the 24 previously bet and in the quickest possible manner. If he folds at this point you were almost gaurenteed to get no action on the river and if he calls you should be able to get at least something out of the river.