Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM

Default LAG attempts to steal blinds

Foxwoods 10/20

I was joking with the guy to my left all day about how I was gonna steal his SB and the guy to his left's BB so I could take the free 15 dollars and go buy myself a buffet. Too bad it never got folded around to me on the button or CO, but teh blinds did get chopped a few times.

Finally, this situation arose:

Hero looks down at 78clubs on the button. Folds to hero. Hero clears throat and says "raise it up" very ostentatiously and throw 4 reds in the pot with flair and pizazz.

SB calls, BB calls.

FLop is Q83 with two spades. SB bets, BB folds, Hero raises.

Turn is a spade completing the flush...SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero folds.

Pretty standard right?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: LAG attempts to steal blinds

Not considering the cards, but just examining Hero's actions I would say that threatening to steal blinds for the sole purpose of buying buffet with it is very negative EV. Instead of +15 dollars, I ended up -60. Who knows though, maybe this was the one time out of 6 that this woulda failed and that in fact, this is a +ev play.

The Foxwoods buffet is very delicious and when chips are quantified in terms of buffets, things get competive.

ps. this post is low content in case you have not figured it out yet. I really just wanted to talk about how good the Foxwoods buffet is. Much better than the breakfast sammiches they serve to you at the table if you are in the mood for something other than that and chicken fingers.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Against a LAG I call this down. If I count right, you're getting 8-1 to see the river, and 4.5-1 to see the SD. I'd guess the combination of a LAG bluff and you catching something on the river is better than 20%, especially if you'd been joking to this guy that you were going to steal his blinds.

Against a passive or unknown player, I think this is a pretty easy fold.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 PM

It would probably be better to check through to the turn and take the cheap showdown. Alot of players will C/R a scare card.