Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 10:23 AM

Default KK and an Ace on the flop - my own critique

As I reviewed this hand, I am disgusted by the weak/tight manner in which I played it.

I know I should have capped pre-flop. My flop play is terrible because I don't get much of an idea where I'm at in relation to villain. If I could do it over, I think I would lead the flop, call a raise and check/fold the turn unimproved. Is that a fair assessment?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: KK and an Ace on the flop - my own critique

you played this hand poorly on ALL streets.

the turn makes it MORE likely you're ahead. If you thought you were behind to an A and drawing to 2 outs you shouldn't continue in the first place.

Cap preflop.

Lead the flop. Call if raised here.

After the 2nd A drops on the turn, check/call the turn.

The river is a little tough. I could see an argument for bet/fold, but I think I'd like to look this opponent up and check/call again.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:30 AM

What kind of read do you have on Button? What have you seen him 3-bet with before?

You already mentioned the no cap PF. With the PF cap I would definitely lead this flop. If raised I would probably call it down barring any reads.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Yes, I would have bet out on the flop. If I got raised from there I think I would go into call-down mode.

I might even bet out on the turn, too once the ace falls. This makes an ace in hand very unlikely (but not impossible). A raise there and I think I know I'm beat, but I may still call down.

The reason I might call-down is that villain in this case may just have a decent pocket pair. I would lean towards giving credit to an ace if he is a 50%+ VP$IP.

If he's a mouse/rock or typically a passive player, then I'm beat and I fold to a flop raise.

Was this scatter-brained enough?

KO
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have have any reads on villain due to multi-tabling.