Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 AM

Default ATs 5/10PL river play w/ trip A\'s on rainbow board?

I play mostly 15/30 or 30/60 so I was considering comments on this hand. I had been at the table for abou 20 minutes and knew he was aggressive. Im dealt ATs in the bb of a 6 max $1000PL game on party. UTG raises to $35(pot), the sb and I call. The flop is A52r. we check to UTG who bets $45, sb folds and I call. turn is A and i check and he bets 125 and i call. river is 7 w/ no flush present. I decided to bet $150 hoping he would just call(block bet?) and he moved AI on me. He has me covered and the pot is about $350 before my river bet. I have about $600 to call off. Comment on all streets welcome and what's my river play?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: ATs 5/10PL river play w/ trip A\'s on rainbow board?

You really like that ten kicker?

I sure as hell wouldn't.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 AM

I think you have to bet out the turn exactly to keep this situation from coming up. He's had the initiative in betting the whole time, so he could easily think you don't like your hand based on the two checks and then the weak lead. If you bet the turn you slow him down significantly and make his betting more indicative of his hand as opposed to his read on you.
Given your line, you're getting about 2:1 on your money so it's all about what you mean by "he was aggressive." Is he raising UTG with crap hands? If so, call-you beat enough of his ace rags to justify it, especially given the possibility of a bluff. If he's not getting out of line UTG, I would be strongly inclined to consider AK-AJ, 55, or 22 to be more than twice as likely as AT, A9, A8, A6 and A3(the only ace rags he can hold that you beat or tie).
Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 AM

i don't think he'd of posted this hand if he really liked his kicker
Old 04-04-2005, 10:04 AM

He isn't raising UTG with crap hands but I did see him go further with hands than he should have. I didn't actually consider the line you talked about, and was curious what size bet you would make on the turn and if that is called what you will bet on the river. Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't raising UTG with crap hands but I did see him go further with hands than he should have. I didn't actually consider the line you talked about, and was curious what size bet you would make on the turn and if that is called what you will bet on the river. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet the full pot at him. I'm normally fine giving up the chance to catch a bluff if I don't think I'm getting more than just the turn bet anyway, as it also saves me from playing a huge pot when behind because I can get away from my hand more easily. if he raises, I fold. If he calls, I check and fold to a large bet but probably call for up to 250 or so.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 PM

ah the no limit version of kicker school.

don't call the all in. don't bet the river. seriously consider folding the river if he bets. also consider folding the turn when he bets, though not as seriously.

and in general, don't call that raise preflop out of position with a weak ace. in no limit the penalty for being wrong is too great to monkey around, even when thooted.

matt
Old 04-04-2005, 01:30 PM

I think if you do call with A-10s you need to be able to get away if an ace hits(or two in this case). When I call with a hand like this I am playing mostly for flush, straight, two-pair, and 3 tens to win a huge pot. If an ace does come on the flop then i would bet about 3/4s and fold to a raise. I am somewhat new to N.L. and poker in general so don't take this too seriously... just giving my opinion. How does this sound to you matt?

WACO
Old 04-04-2005, 05:25 PM

add to steal and we've got agreement.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Matt, what do you mean steal? If rags flop?