Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the best online poker site
Party Poker 34 36.56%
Pacific 5 5.38%
Paradise 7 7.53%
Ultimate Bet 5 5.38%
Poker Stars 17 18.28%
Full Tilt 7 7.53%
Other 18 19.35%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2005, 07:05 PM

Default How often do you bank?

By banking, I mean taking your winnings, leaving the table, and going to a new table.

I know I shouldn't probably make this a poll, because of the overwhelming "I don't" choice, but...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: How often do you bank?

I'm not sure that "You shouldn't either" should be in there. I'm very comfortable with my big stack play, but if you're not then you should leave if you get a big stack. I would suggest dropping in limits and practicing big stack play but there's no reason that you should play with one if you're uncomfortable doing it.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 PM

You need to add "when the game is no longer +EV" to your list.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Yes, it's definitely lack of comfort with the big stacks. I'm practicing multitabling, but still find I get bored. So after my stack gains 10-20bb, I start hovering there and eventually I lose my resolve, do something stupid, and go back down. (I do understand that that's the real crux of the problem.)
Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 AM

My style is to sit down at the table and be very very aggressive to start off. I am usually able to hit a few big hands or bluff successfully early on.

If I am at a table when the table becomes super tight, I hit a stretch of really cold cards, or a player or two sit down that I can tell are really really good I will split and start over.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:27 AM

Playing big stack poker against people who have no clue how to play big stack poker is when the real money is made. If anything having a big stack is a reason to stay, especially if there are other bad/mediocre players at the table who have doubled up a couple times.

That being said if you are making costly mistakes when you have a big stack a short term fix would be to leave. But this won't improve your game long-term and you are missing out on profitable situations. JMO of course.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 AM

I select a new option. "When I can go to a more profitable table."
Old 04-04-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing big stack poker against people who have no clue how to play big stack poker is when the real money is made. If anything having a big stack is a reason to stay, especially if there are other bad/mediocre players at the table who have doubled up a couple times.

That being said if you are making costly mistakes when you have a big stack a short term fix would be to leave. But this won't improve your game long-term and you are missing out on profitable situations. JMO of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

My suggestion is that if you're playing at something above the lowest limit, play one table of the lowest limit and practice your big stack poker. Ask questions on here so that you can learn how to play correctly.

Edit: Beset, this isn't to you, it's to anyone reading this thread.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:47 AM

There are only six tables at the level I play, and I four-table, so I don't even bother with table selection, unless I'm stuck with all rocks or something. I change tables when I'm done playing for the session, and I constantly rebuy up to the max if I'm down a bit. I never take a big stack off the table and move elsewhere on purpose.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:57 AM

the only way i would leave is if i was up a lot and there was another good player at the table up a lot

say at the NL100 i have 400, other good guy has 400, and all the bad players have <100. even if i am better than this guy, there is a very slim chance i take his whole stack. he will be aware of me and not want to risk losing it all. that said, having him there will likely throw off my game a bit. and my stack may intimidate players into not playing with me. in this case i will switch to a new table.

your post is weak though, with the options only going up to doubling up and leaving. this is nonsense.