Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 PM

Default WSoP trip advice - Main Event preparations

I won a seat in the $10K no limit event last night. I will get my entry filled out monday/entry fee sent in. I must admit I am still in a mild state of shock.

I need some advice, so I can make trip plans/travel arrangements.
I plan on being off from work the entire week (7/7 - 7/15), no idea how long I'll last.
This will make the rest of my work schedule for July pretty tight, but I figure it's worth it.

1) is there any specific point in getting there any sooner than the afternoon before it starts (7/6)?

I think each day's play starts around noon. I doubt I'll be doing any other playing in the am's before each day's begins. and probably none afterwards (see below ? about daily play time)

2) would it make more sense to stay at the rio the whole time,? downt town? the strip? My concern is the convenience of being right there w/o commute hassels.
once (if) I get knocked out, being somewhere like the strip or downtown would be more preferable as there is more action/attractions within walking distance.

2a what do y'all think about having starting reservtions at

I know each day has specified 'reduction amounts' ie 2200 players reduced to 900. however . . .

3) anyone have any rough idea how long play will last each day?

4) do most tend to maxamize rest/relaxation between rounds, i.e. a good night sleep?, or do they tend to go balls to the wall all day/all night.

thanks
doc
Old 04-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: WSoP trip advice - Main Event preparations

Congratulations! Please don't post on more than one section though. Only you know if you can play and then go out an "play" after each session - but they run from noon until at least midnight each day. FWIW, I'm staying on the strip -because I want to go to bed soon after my sessions end. Good Luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 10:07 PM

Congrats bro.

Question #1-I'd get there as many days in advance as your comfortable with. I prefer 2-3. It gives your body time to adjust to the time zone (if needed), and RELAX for a day or two, get a message, get laid, lay by the pool (with PLENTY of sunscreen, playing burned is a biatch!) DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL the day/night before the tourney starts.

2-Stay anywhere you want, preferably on the strip.

3-Remember that the blind/starting chip ratio is pretty good at the WSOP. So the first 2-3 days is about SURVIVAL.

4-Rest, rest, and rest some more.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 AM

1) I am getting there the afternoon before play begins and, if I'm playing on 1A, rest all day. If I'm 1B or 1C, I'd mix my time between rest and study while throwing in a little poker (gotta pay for the flight out there!)

2) I booked a room at the Gold Coast, right next door to the Rio. Averaged to about 70 a day with two weekend nights. The Rio is all suites and I believe rooms were 180 on average for the week.

If it gets to the point where I need to worry about getting downtown, those will be the least of my concerns (You'd have to be top 27).