Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Standard JJ play?

BB is TAG, others unknown.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Haupt_234
Old 04-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Standard JJ play?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for including 5 words of your own, but it'd probably be more useful if you included some ideas, too. Which streets are you wondering about? What's your thought process? Please don't just dump hands onto the forum.

That said, I like the hand. I like the flop raise especially, but when a TAG calls it, I get worried. I don't think the turn bet is so hot. If he gives you a free card on the turn, I say you take it. It'll probably mean he bets into you on the river regardless, but I'd rather pay my 1BB when I know all the cards, than earlier. This plus the chance he check-raises you on the turn, I think check/call is right.

Or am I too passive?
-Sam
Old 04-03-2005, 07:35 PM

I play this hand the same.

I always bet the turn. You don't want to give a free card to a possible flush draw. If he check-raises you, you can be fairly certain you are beat and fold.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

standard. Checking the turn sucks.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for including 5 words of your own, but it'd probably be more useful if you included some ideas, too. Which streets are you wondering about? What's your thought process? Please don't just dump hands onto the forum.

That said, I like the hand. I like the flop raise especially, but when a TAG calls it, I get worried. I don't think the turn bet is so hot. If he gives you a free card on the turn, I say you take it. It'll probably mean he bets into you on the river regardless, but I'd rather pay my 1BB when I know all the cards, than earlier. This plus the chance he check-raises you on the turn, I think check/call is right.

Or am I too passive?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the turn (a) shows weakness (b) gives a free card (c) sets you up to be beaten by a bluff on the river, cuz you are gonna have a hard time calling if he bets into you, especially with a scary river card. By betting the turn, you (a) give him a chance to fold (b) charge his draw. Either way, you are putting in 1 more bet to get to showdown. IMO the former gives you the best chance to win.