Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Starting to question if this gme is profitable

I've read posts from a lot of guys here who say they make money playing poker. I kind of know it is possible, but still I wonder if it really is. I've been playing for a couple months now, I play 40 hours a week at least. I don't have anything to show for it (except a few hundred in bonus money) I know there's a small chance I'm in a breakeven streak but I doubt it. Anyways enough ranting, here is a picture of my session stats

Is there anything that sticks out as wrong? (besides all the red numbers) What should my % of winning sessions be? Has anyone else noticed their longer sessions tend to have wrose results than their short ones? (Maybe this points to a bad player?)

Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Starting to question if this gme is profitable

why do the hands not add up to 25k? Oh nevermind, I guess there are some .5/1 hands or something. Sample is still pretty small.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:40 PM

I wouldn't be worrying about your % of winning sessions, that's not a very important metric (but yours is kinda low).

Stats like vpip and pfr are way mroe important, thought processes behind your play in hands is more important yet.

Also, how the hell do you play 6 hours at one table? You may want to work on better game selection.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read posts from a lot of guys here who say they make money playing poker. I kind of know it is possible, but still I wonder if it really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you can't win playing poker.

Nobody does.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:52 PM

Low VPIP.

You don't even show what your PFR is so I'm guessing that is low too. The fact that you don't even show it indicates that you don't consider that to be very important (compared with number of winning sessions or whatever it is you're looking at).

Yes...it's possible you're just in a break-even stretch. But based on the little info that I see from your post I would have to believe it is MORE likely that you just aren't playing a very winning game.

One needs to ask oneself NOT whether or not the game itself is profitable....but whether one is actually playing a profitable game.
The fact that you think one should be able to tell how well you play from this info indicates that you probably don't play well.

you NEED to either read HH's in the micro-limits forum or POST HH's there.
I suspect you are just playing a weak-tight borderling break-even game....but there's really no way to know for sure.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 PM

Gong back over some of the hands you have posted, it's obvious you don't have a very solid grasp on some of the basic fundamentals.

Quit playing 2/4 and 3/6 and move back down to 1/2 or .5/1 and work on your game. Go buy some good poker books, read them, re-read them, and then read them again. Since your game is weak, I would recommend a little more time studying, and alot less time playing (40 hours a week??? Good Lord!).

Obviously this is something you want to succeed at (you play 40 hour weeks for goodness sake [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), so if you focus that desire, you should do fine. But it's going to require putting some ego aside, realizing you aren't that good (yet) and taking the steps to fix all of that.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 PM

The game is not profitable for all players. You may be in 90% of online players that can't beat the game.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything that sticks out as wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is small. Your table selection could use some work, too--if you aren't doing this already, create and maintain a buddy list containing the worst players you come across. Whenever possible, keep playing against them. Don't be ashamed to get up and find another table if the one you're on isn't good.

[ QUOTE ]
What should my % of winning sessions be?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter. Obviously, more winning sessions is better than less, but as was mentioned before, there are other numbers which matter much more to your game.

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed their longer sessions tend to have wrose results than their short ones? (Maybe this points to a bad player?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This topic has been discussed at length in the psychology forum. The short story is, a lot of us tend to chase our losses, and keep playing a losing session trying to end on a positive note. On the other hand, many people are tempted to get out of a game while they're ahead or if they win a set amount of money. Both of these are bad things--how long you stay at the table should depend on three things only:

-Is the table still profitable?
-Are you able to play your best poker (i.e., not tilting or falling asleep)?
-Do you have other obligations which cannot wait?

I've listed them in order of importance, although some of those things that can't wait (wife/GF, kids, etc) might argue this order. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I obviously can't tell just from the info you've given, but at least from this post, it does look like your biggest problem is table selection. Work on that, and your win rate will improve. Again, there are many posts in this and other forums regarding how to find good tables, and they can be found with the Search feature. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Ok thanks. I realize that my PFR and other stats are important, I posted the sessions tab to see what percent of winning sessions I should aim to achieve (This was a mistake) Your right though, my PFR is roughly 5% which is too low. I will devote more time to study and less time to playing for now.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 02:54 AM

my initial thought is that, because you play the "premium hands", you probably tend to get married to them, and make too many loose calls after the flop.

there really is no way for any of us to say for sure, though, based on these dumb stats. we have no idea how you play after the flop, which is beyond question the most important aspect of ones' game.

cheers!