Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Very strange hand. Comments, please?

I was involved in a hand last night, that turned out to be one of the weirdest hands I've seen. I'm interested in your thoughts on the questions at the bottom.

The situation: Final table (10 players) of a NL home tourney that started with 45 or so players. Blinds are 450/900. We started with 3000 in chips, and I'm sitting in probably 7th place with 8800 chips (down from 17000, when I was chip leader at the previous break; mostly from blinds and a couple calls that missed the flop). Top 5 places pay, so I'm hoping to make a move. The first 5 hands at the table were pretty tight, with 2 of them folded to the blinds.

No one had a commanding lead, so stack sizes aren't that important. Here's how it played out (sorry if the syntax isn't right; I'm new at this):

UTG: Calls. No read on him.
UTG+1: Calls. No read on him.
MP1: Calls. He is a friend and a very good, but VERY tight player. He would raise with a premium hand.
MP2: Fold
LP1: Raises 3000 (making it 3900). He is a very good player.
LP2: This is me. I've got KK. I'm sure LP1 has a pocket pair that isn't AA, so I'm dominating him. I push all in for 8800 (reraising LP1 4900). I'm pretty sure all will fold except LP1, who I put on QQ or JJ.
Cuttoff: Calls my all in.
Button: Folds
SB: Folds
BB: Thinks about it for about 2 minutes, then makes a scene about thinking he probably is folding a winner. He folds.

Flop comes: 467

LP1: Checks.
Cuttoff: Pushes all in.
LP1: Calls.

Turn is a 4.
River is a 5.

LP1 has QQ.
I (LP2) have KK.
Cutoff has AA.

Cutoff knocks both of us out as the aces hold up.

Other players comment on their hands:
UTG folded 33.
MP1 folded 1010.
BB folded 88. And for all his moping about laying down the winner, he would have won with a straight.

So I want to know this:
1) What are the odds of so many pocket pairs (6 in a 10-handed game)
2) Should/could I have played that any differently? Calling the 3000 raise was already almost half my stack and I knew I had him dominated. I did want to get heads up with him, but I couldn't have seen the AA coming.
3) Facing a big raise like that, a reraise, and a cold call of the reraise, should the BB have called with the 88? You almost have to figure all the big cards are in hands already, so it gives him a much better shot at hitting his hand. He has to put the three of us on premium pocket pairs, but with the 3 callers before us, there's a good chance that they each have an A, K, or Q thereby reducing our odds of catching trips or a straight.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Very strange hand. Comments, please?

"it" happens, you played it correctly, just bad timing
Old 04-03-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Very strange hand. Comments, please?

1)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls $4 (All-In), MP1 calls.

River: (28.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 28.50 BB, between SB, MP1, Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero (28.50 BB).</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: 3 BB, between MP1, Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero (3 BB).</font>

Results:
SB has Qh Qs (two pair, queens and threes).
MP1 has Qc Qd (two pair, queens and threes).
Hero has Kc Ks (full house, kings full of threes).
CO has Ad Ac (two pair, aces and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 31.50 BB.

I asked about the odds of that one happening over on the probability forum, and got no responses. But weird things obviously do happen in Hold'Em. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2) You played this perfectly. Calling the initial raise with such a powerful hand was committing you to go all in anyway--may as well do it early and try to limit your opposition.

3) Dunno. I do know that I had 88 in the BB in an almost identical situation some time ago (this was a tournament, though). I folded. The flop came K88.