Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Standard?

Villian in this hand is a 19/12/2. Hand is pretty basic on the surface but I can see valid arguments for playing differently on both the flop and turn. Thoughts?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Standard?

if the bb is just taking a stab on the flop bet the turn.

if he has something like a small pair, checkraise the turn.

most Ts that beat you would 3 bet preflop and he can call with lots of things here that paired up and that he'd bet the turn with putting you on ace high.

checking allows a free card to fall off, how bad that is depends, but i'd like to be able to take [read: offer and have offer accepted} a free card IF i need to so i like checkraising

-Barron
Old 04-02-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

most Ts that beat you would 3 bet preflop and he can call with lots of things here that paired up and that he'd bet the turn with putting you on ace high.

checking allows a free card to fall off, how bad that is depends, but i'd like to be able to take [read: offer and have offer accepted} a free card IF i need to so i like checkraising

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought it most likely that villain has overcards that he may or may not bet when I check to him on the turn. That said, why don't I 3-bet the flop? Is there a valid reason not to? This is the real problem I had with my line...

- Jags
Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

most Ts that beat you would 3 bet preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Grizzly adams did have a beard.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought it most likely that villain has overcards that he may or may not bet when I check to him on the turn. That said, why don't I 3-bet the flop? Is there a valid reason not to? This is the real problem I had with my line...

- Jags

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. 3 bet the flop is a great line now that i think about it, given the info.

-Barron
Old 04-02-2005, 02:03 PM

I would check-raise the flop, if you get too predictable in these situations, leading into his 3-bet preflop when you get a piece of the flop you'll be easily read. I counter this by almost always check raising or check folding the flop out of position, headsup against someone who (re)raised me preflop.