FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Another AA hand

Another AA hand on party poker.

7 Card Stud High (10/20), ante 1.

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__completes__calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__raises
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bring-ins (3)__folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__folds

I never slowplay big pairs on party poker just because the game is so loose and nobody ever seems to believe me no matter how tight I play. Obviously in a tighter game or against a tough opponent I might just call. No reason not to isolate here.

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__checks__calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__bets

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__calls

Just based on the hands that I have seen 1 play so far I feel like a 3 flush is a less likely starting hand for her than a decent pair in the hole when she completes first to act showing a 5. Therefore I want to call here, and on 6th too if she doesn't catch another spade, in which case I'd have to fold unless I had tripped up. Should I raise here instead to punish her for possibly betting on the come and also to find out what's going on? If I raise here and she calls and we both blank off should I bet 6th when she checks to me? And what if I get check-raised in that scenario, it could be a flush or it could be 2p. I've found that in hyperaggressive games like the 15/30 hold'em game on party you can punish alot of players by just calling and letting them keep betting garbage (not that I advocate being a calling station in general). Am I just being a calling station this hand?

6th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__calls

essentially the same logic as 5th

River

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx__bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls

Big pot, I can beat many value bets, such as K's up (consistent with my original read of a big wired pair) or I can even beat A's up if she caught an ace on 4th street.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Another AA hand

You played it fine. I wouldn't bother raising fifth. There's a pretty good chance that you have the best hand yet. If you do raise and gain that information, what are you going to do with it? If your opponent three-bets with a flush and you throw your Aces away, you've saved yourself a big bet (actually a little less, since you can still suck out). If she causes you to dump the best hand, though, it's a catastrophe, so you need to be very sure of your customer. I think you should just call it down.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:31 AM

Your opponent has the only spades that have been seen in this hand. You have none and none were displayed on third. With those live spades and that strait flush/ wheely looking board they show on fifth you'd be a fool to raise. Its time to cross your fingers and call like you did. Even if she has a buried pair and a four flush, she's slightly over a 60/40 favorite against your aces here. Not a spot to get bold in. You played it right.

Mike Emery
Old 04-02-2005, 10:26 AM

What about a 6th street raise if she catches a blank? Then I'm a favorite again over pair with flush draw or flush draw with str8 draw.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about a 6th street raise if she catches a blank? Then I'm a favorite again over pair with flush draw or flush draw with str8 draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, this is all true, but what about putting her on a range of other hands, some of which are crushing you. The only spades we've seen so far are the ones on your opponents board. If she's behind, she's betting your hand for you. All you have at this point is a pair of aces.

I'm not so sure why you put her on a big wired pair, when you have the king, and she's also looking at a queen behind her. Are you putting her on a big pair because she raised on 3rd? In a lot of these 10/20 games, the tables can be playing tight, in which case, I'll come in raising most hands I want to play, and hope to pick up the antes. If someone calls, that's ok, cause I have a playable hand.

Why does calling make you a calling station? A calling station is someone who checks-calls with anything. You have a good hand, but your opponents board is scary.