Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the maximum number of tables you can comfortably play?
1 4 3.60%
2 15 13.51%
3 23 20.72%
4 41 36.94%
5 6 5.41%
6+ 22 19.82%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2005, 10:23 PM

Default How Should I Play (Live Tourney - 80 Players)

I am playing in a live tourney tomorrow. $100 buy-in with 80 players that start with $2300 in chips. Blinds start 5-10, 10-20, 25-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, ...

I had a disagreement with my buddy who's also playing.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: How Should I Play (Live Tourney - 80 Players)

I hope that you post with how you did play and how it worked for you. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:04 PM

Playing too tight when you have 100+ bb in front of you is going to give your competition an opporutnity to go fishing while you're stuck on shore with the ladies - you have to see flops, but don't go crazy. Avoid overvaluing your big hands early when there are lots of multi-way pots and be willing to lay down to strength. The payoff comes when you make the nuts against a strong second best. At least thats how I would play it if I entered a tournament with no more information then you've given. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 PM

It depends on what you consider extremely tight and what your tournament experience is. If it is your first tournament, I think you should ease into it. However, don't play "extremely tight," just play solid poker with good starting hands in the early rounds. Don't take too many chances, though.
If you're new to tournaments, or even new to that large a buy in, playing with good starting hands will minimize the dificulty of your post-flop decisions. The experienced players will out-play you post flop, that's just the way it is.
Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing how it went.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Hey All.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I've played in two multi-table tourneys before (in AC). I won one and got to the final table on the other. It's been a year though.

I plan on playing somewhat tight. I will limp in with pocket 8s or lower. I will call the BB when in the SB. I will raise and re-raise with big pairs and broadway. I will also limp in with suited-connectors.

That's what I plan on. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks all.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:28 PM

Don't have a plan.

Adjust to your table.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:48 PM

i agree with sbu97...dont play extremley tight, but dont liimp into so many pots that you leave yourself to make difficult descions with marginal hands, and minimal value(with such low blind levels early)
I recommend limping with good intentions, in late position, weith the thought that you will lay down to a raise that is not giving you correct odds to get involved in. This may see weak, limping then laying down early in a tourney, but it sets you up for later. The table views as someone who can be raised out of marginal holdings, this is an image that will pay you off when the blinds have reached a significant level. Limp when you can, but only turn over premimum hands. You will reap the benifits down the road.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Play your cards early, play your position late.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:07 PM

when the blinds are small compared to your stack its theoretically correct to play a fairly tight game, having said that you need to limp in late position with suited connectors etc WHEN THE ODDS ARE FAVOURABLE and be prepared to let em go a lot on the flop if you dont hit

otherwise solid poker, and what Roman said....

GL

Rgds
Stephen

ps think i may be a bit late on this one.....
Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM

Thanks for all of your advice.

My first table was quite limp-ish. I got sucked out on by some calling stations. When we got broken up, I found myself at a very aggressive table with a somewhat short stack. I had the nut flush draw and bet into a guy who flopped quad 10s. Then I got blinded out. Never got it going. I ended up re-raising all-in with AQ and lost to 55 to a good buddy.

All in all, I used the adapt to you table method and did okay. Didn't get the cards when the blinds got high.